McDowell Garment Drafting Machine 1886

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

McDowell Garment Drafting Machine 1886

Postby Manon Antoinette » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:01 pm

I recently won this item on Ebay :) hope it arrives safely and soon! It should arrive within 14 days from today :D

This is the description:
"The McDowell Garment Drafting Machine is a unique invention designed to assist tailors and dressmakers in making a well-fitted bodice, which was very important during Victorian times. This set appears to be very complete, as far as I can tell. It contains five different brass pattern pieces. These pieces can be adjusted to create many sizes. They are dated 1886.

Besides the brass patterns, the set includes a book about "The Sleeve", a McDowell garment drafting square ruler, and a measure book, which would be used to take a customer's measurements, name, address, etc. The box is original and intact, except for some open corners.

I found an advertisement for this item in an old Delineator magazine from January 1902, and have included it for information purposes only."

Here's some pictures from the listing;

I found some alternate sites about the machine:
http://www.geocities.com/kakurlander/mcdowell.htm
http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=12375

I'm very excited! :o
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
Charlotte Brontë
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing it spread out like that makes me understand how that works finally! I hope you have fun with it! It looks like they are in really nice usuable condition.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:55 pm

What a neat device!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:38 am

It'll be an impatient week waiting for it to arrive! when I saw it on Ebay it was like love at first sight ;) :o
Oscar Wilde
Charlotte Brontë
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:39 am

I, also, FINALLY got my McDowell! I LOVE it. Mine came with the sleeve machine and booklets also. You have two thingies that I do not. I didn't get the Article and the crossbar thingie on the ruler.Image CONGRATULATIONS! You have won a wonderful prize!
Lioness
kate9685
Inquiring Mind

Postby kate9685 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:35 pm

Wow!!! I've seen a picture of one of these actually in use (was it in the photo gallery or in one of my books - I'll have to check) but have never seen one 'in the flesh' - fantastic and I'm so jealous!!
kate9685
Inquiring Mind

Postby kate9685 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:44 pm

Here's another one!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Antique-Vict ... dZViewItem

I won't embarass you by asking how much you paid - but is this a reasonable price (not that I could afford to buy it!!)
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:36 pm

WoW.... ehm, is that a reasonable price... well I've heard of a sale that went up to $250. But I didn't pay that much (in fact $250 was my max and it didn't come close) and I have the booklets and a box with it. So I think it depends on how much you want it :o

I think the same rule to horses applies, "it is worth as much as people are willing to pay".
Oscar Wilde
Charlotte Brontë
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:46 am

I think (only an opinion here) $399 is WAY TOO MUCH to pay for a partial item. It is missing the booklet apparently. The booklet is invaluable. The information is so interesting. There have been a few of these on Ebay. There is also a sleeve machine and booklet that seems to have been sold separately. A few of us were lucky enough to get it WITH the other and have the booklet included.

From what I have seen, $150 is a fair price for the McDowell Garment Drafting Machine. They are exceptionally interesting. I have not had time to work with mine as Comic-Con (and the well deserved time off) is just one week over. Now, I will be inspecting it with great joy! Congratulations on your lucky purchase again.
Lioness
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:06 am

Thank you and I have to agree there, it's not complete indeed. I have had some contact with another lucky person :wink: 8) who also had the instruction booklet with her item. We discussed making a copy of the booklet for eachother which works out for both :D
Oscar Wilde
Charlotte Brontë
Marmee
Window Shopper

Re: McDowell Garment Drafting Machine 1886

Postby Marmee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello,

I have had this drafting machine in my little sewing collection for a couple years...but alas I have not found the time to use it for drafting up a bodice or frock...and now that we are expecting a little one in December I need the extra funds for Baby....so I have just listed it on ebay! If anyone is interested the auction is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

1883 (? I'm Uncertain of the exact date...this is what the Instruction booklet notes)
McDowell Garment Drafting Machine with box! : )

I hope it is okay to mention this here...I just thought that someone here might get much more use out of this lovely old tool than I. : )

Have a beautiful day!!!
♥ Marmee

Return to “Show and Tell”