My first 1860s ball gown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
HistoricallyDressed
Costume Afflicted

My first 1860s ball gown

Postby HistoricallyDressed » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:00 am

Hello everyone!

Well, I just recently finished using my first non-underpinning Truly Victorian pattern, so I thought I'd share. It is an 1860s ball gown for a ball I attended in Nahant, MA. I used #442 for the bodice, and the crinoline is the #103 elliptical crinoline, but the skirt is not a TV pattern (unfortunately! Making that skirt gave me such a headache. I've ordered #247 for next time!) I wish I'd had more time to sew before the event so that I could have trimmed it, but I was sewing hooks and eyes down the back of the bodice right up until I arrived. ;)

(Pictures of the ball can be seen at my website, if you wish).

Happy sewing! :)
-Jenni
"Historically Dressed"
www.historicallydressed.com
Luinwen
Costume Afflicted

Postby Luinwen » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:11 am

Oh I like the dress. Und it seems that you had a lot of fun during the ball.

I will attend a ball in October (here in Germany) and I am looking forward to it. But I will make a early bustle dress. But after that I want to try my hand on a hoop dress, but for a day dress to start with it.
Anar kaluva tielyanna!
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:02 am

It does look like you had a lot of fun :). I really miss going to the balls that they have around here, but I refuse to have another corset made and go through the agony of my first Victorian ball gown when I'm in the middle of losing weight, and will never wear it again :). It's been a couple of years since I went. I love the set dances, including the Reel. I used to have a set of friends that all went to the balls together (well, we'd schedule which one we were all going to attend, and get together when we got there), and we'd make our own Reel set. Some of the people at our balls are very picky and serious about their dancing, and get this attitude that if you're laughing and messing up, you're ruining their experience. My friends aren't like that, so we make our own set off to one side of the room, and just have fun :).
victorian Carmen
Costume Afflicted

Postby victorian Carmen » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:11 am

Your dress is very pretty and sharing with you and Glenn at the ball was a blast, I hope we can get together again.
Carmen
Proud Member of the the Metropolitan Vintage Dance and Social Club..
check their new website at: http://www.metropolitanvintagedance.com

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D

Carmen, I agree, it was so much fun getting to hang out with you and your husband & friends! I'm sure we will get to meet again, seeing as how I'm quickly becoming quite obsessed with vintage dance! ;)

-Jenni
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Dress

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:37 pm

I :D LOVE :D the dress!

It looks like you were having a good ole' time!!

THanks for sharing those pictures,

Elizabeth
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Postby buttonwillow » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:01 pm

Jenny, How did you fit the bodice? Are you happy with the lack of smooth and flat fabric on the bodice which occurs when you wear no corset?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:14 pm

Hi Buttonwillow,

I just thought I would stick my nose in on this one, and respond on Jenni's behalf.

It looks to me that she is properly boned and dressed to the skin. And by venturing onto her web site, I found the evidence of these garments.

Using satin fabric on a bodice has one very serious side effect that most people don't realize until too late..... Every miniscule deviation of angle in the bodice results in a distinctive difference of sheen. What this means is that no matter what you do, how many bones you have, undergarments, etc., you will always, and I mean ALWAYS, have a washboard effect, which us usually picked up much stronger in photos than real life. I have found the only way to smooth out satin is to simply not use it for anything that doesn't swag, pleat, or otherwise benefit from the inevitable enhanced motion and detail.

Given the very nature of the fabric fighting against her, I thought Jenni did a remarkable job.

Kuddos to you Jenni, keep up the good work!
:D
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Postby buttonwillow » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:22 pm

No offense intended. I see the stays, now that you mention it, Heather. I was confused by Jenni's reference to "non-underpinning" TV pattern, a term I obviously don't understand. Oops!
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:50 pm

TV has patterns for underpinnings as well, such as chemise, combinations, and of course the cages and petticoats. I think Jenni meant that this is her first attempt at outer wear :).
*hugs*
Sara

Return to “Show and Tell”