An idea...

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Sara P
Information Junkie

An idea...

Postby Sara P » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:50 pm

My mind was wandering the other day, and I was thinking about how several of you ladies had posted about how you have so many patterns and so much material, or just end up sewing for other people and never get anything made for yourself, and I came up with this idea:

The Christmas Challenge:

Rules: You may use only materials (including trim and notions!) that you already own. You may buy a pattern if ABSOLUTELY necessary (i.e., like me you don't have any yet), but the goal is to use stuff from your stash. If you need to make undergarments, those must also be made from materials in your stash!

Goal: The goal is to make YOURSELF an entire outfit (bodice, skirt, and/or overskirt) from your stash, and complete it before Christmas. It will be a Christmas present to yourself, and will also prove to your significant other that you DO use things from your stash :). Hats and other accessories are optional ;).

Deadline: The deadline, of course, is Christmas. If you start now, that's almost 3 whole months to work on it, which should be plenty of time.

Opinions?
*hugs*
Sara
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:03 pm

Sounds like my kind of plan, I have enough to do 2 formal outfits and 2 others for myself plus several for my friend, but mine will be done by the 1st of December....when I get them done I will post pictures.....although I don't have all the trim for all of them....
Ithilwyn
Window Shopper

Postby Ithilwyn » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:01 am

Uh, oh. You said the magic word--challenge. Count me in.
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:14 am

me too!

Elizabeth
ashamanja babu
Information Junkie

Postby ashamanja babu » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:20 am

hmmm.... a new reason to make a new dress for no reason. I'm convinced! Sound like fun!

-ashamanja babu
GeriRoyer
Inquiring Mind

Postby GeriRoyer » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:56 am

I love the challenge idea but don't know if I'd be able to participate. We are thinking about moving and I have to clean out my sewing room so we can repair the ceiling. When I do this, most of what's in there will be going into storage so I won't be able to do a lot of sewing between now and Christmas, but I may try to get something done.
Geri Royer
Head cook - Sutter's Fort Living History Program
Seamstress to many
SASS Alias - Cinnamon Teal
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:08 pm

Sounds like we're on, ladies :). I asked for several patterns for my birthday, which is in about 4 weeks. After that I can buy the patterns (because you know if I buy them now, someone will suddenly decide that after 4 years on my wish list, they have to buy them *now*), and get started :). This is just what I needed to get myself in gear for some sewing!
*hugs*

Sara
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:17 pm

sounds like a plan, I need a new dress for november anyway... and I know what you need to be working on.. :wink: :wink:
Beth
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:30 pm

And all i need is an excuse to make one!! :lol: :wink:

Elizabeth
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:59 pm

Sara, when is your birthday? You said about 4 weeks...so is mine 10/9 to be exact, another Libra obviously :) I've been working today on a polonaise for a young lady that I've had the material for about a year, told her mom,"get the trim and buttons so I can finish" then I will start on mine.....I'm getting a new sewing chair for my birthday.....
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:12 pm

Mine is 10/4 :). And yes, Beth, I'm going to start on my dress for the event that you are referring to. Sort of. I'm going to make a polonaisse style day dress first to check the fit and whatnot, before I start on the ball gown :). I hope to get the day dress finished before Christmas, which will leave me two more months to meet my February deadline for the gown (which I plan to wear to Dickens in Riverside). Whew, what an ungrammatical sentence! LOL
*hugs*

Sara
Fannie Kikinshoot
Inquiring Mind

Postby Fannie Kikinshoot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:41 pm

Hey Lizzie, I finally made it over here!! :roll: I don't know where the heck I've been looking on this site, but for the last 4 years I have scoured TV and never knew there was a message board here! DUH!! But, I'm here now.

I love this idea! Like Lizzie mine must be done by Thanksgiving as I will be wearing them the first week in December. The only catch is.....I have 6, yes SIX dresses to make by then!!! :shock: Out of those 6, I only have to buy fabric for one! So, I will be spending all of my spare time in my new sewing room. (We just moved and I now have a sewing room!!! Yea!!)

Heather, can't wait to see you and Laura at the SASS Convention. Of course the dresses are from your patterns. I am judging the contest this year, instead of competing. I figured, I've got my plaques, time for someone else, besides, Cat needs some help! See you in Vegas!!! Woohooo!! Gotta go sew!
It's not how good I shoot, it's how good I look, while I'm shooting!
The Carolina Belles
Lady Flashman
Window Shopper

Postby Lady Flashman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 am

Oh! Count me in on this!

I have a great stash, nothing to wear but mourning blacks and second mourning grays...no place to work (brother living in sewing room).

Can we say incentive!!!! YES!
Elspeth
Mollie
Window Shopper

Postby Mollie » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:02 am

I'd like to try as well. I've been collecting fabric and patterns for my stash and need to start using some of it.

:)
Mollie
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:36 am

I'm curious as to how many people have kept to the challenge;)

On another forum the challenge was to use all the fabric in stash in a years time...

Well honestly.. if I was to use all my stash.. It'll take a *very* long time!

Especially with this:

At 20 lengths of 7.5m green velveteen I could make Scarlet's Draperies gown several times over;)

The rest of that is a pale teal cotton velvet, a wool jacket, several art/costume books, fitness ball.....

So far fromt he velveteen I've sold two lengths, got a request for another, used 2 and a half to make cloaks for a show and now a length (possibly more, possibly less) for the Mina Green velvet gown and a 5m length for a Danish 1570s dress.

And that Scarlet Draperies, and green Pegnoir are also calling to me;)
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:22 am

Glad you posted! I think we all forgot about the challenge... I have an idea for mine and I will be working on it up to the last sec...let see how many of us can finish and post a dress from our stash by christmas day...what a grea thread to inspire and encourage! I hope corsets count as mine is a major under taking for me at the moment!!
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:03 am

I didn't see this thread till today. A very creative challenge. I'd love to see what everyone came up with. Even if you miss the deadline.

(Lady Flashman whose brother was living in her sewing room--is that "Flashy" with the cute motorized gun cart in the guise of a little car?)
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:25 am

I made mine and posted the picture, did have to get some trim for it though, I buy material and not trim, since I don't have anything in mind when I buy the material.....
Lady Flashman
Window Shopper

Postby Lady Flashman » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:04 am

Yes Dana that "Flashy"! And I still have the sewingroom impediment!

I have managed to get new underpinnings done, but not much else. Unfortunately, I don't feel much like sewing this week. If you read or watch the news you may have seen the piece on the JPL vanpool accident on Wednesday last. We are still mourning and in shock here at work.

Still, I will try to meet the deadline. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.
Elspeth
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:47 am

Elspeth, I am so sorry! Yes, I've been quite aware of the van's accident. What a sad time it is for JPL.

I've met your brother a couple of times at Raahauge's. He's also involved with the historic site in Pasadena and would like to see the group I am a part of get involved too. That brother of yours is a sweet-talker, eh?

Return to “Show and Tell”