My First Bustle Dress!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
DABramwell
Inquiring Mind

Postby DABramwell » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:57 am

The chemisette could also be made using an elizabethan women's blouse. They are designed to be gathered in this fashion, but are split up the front so that they could also be worn pulled off to the sides for a more revealing open look. Like this one though not this particular one since if it is the pattern maker I think it is the pattern is truly wretched.
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 am

The noblewomen's shirt pattern at the bottom of the page you linked is an Alter Years pattern. I've had bad experiences with the two patterns I've used of theirs, but I haven't used this particular one.

(For those that are interested, I've used the Men's Sleeveless Doublet pattern and the Irish Dress pattern. The problems with the men's pattern were mostly due to the pattern not being the size it was listed as, and the placket instructions being ridiculous; the Irish dress listed the wrong fabric amount needed for 45" material. I'm not using the bodice pieces so I can't speak as to how they fit compared to size, but comparing them to the pattern I made for the woman, it looks as though the bodice would have been at least 3 inches too long.)
*hugs*
Sara
DABramwell
Inquiring Mind

Postby DABramwell » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:39 pm

I'm glad someone else thinks their patterns are wretched. I bought one to use as a basis for the costumes for A Man for All Seasons and not only were the yardage requirments flat out wrong, the pattern turns out not looking much like the illustrations. I had to start over and draft from scratch! :evil:

It was the only illustration of the type of shirt I was thinking off that I could find and in no way a pattern endorsment.
Karolina
Information Junkie

Postby Karolina » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:13 pm

I really like it too - it looks authentic! :D
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:26 pm

Absolutly beautiful!

I think the fit is perfect!!

Ok I am going to give you a hint for the bottom binding on the bodice, only cause my first one I did the same thing and had the same issue...see the little places where the fabric puckered at the top of the binding fabric? Make the binding just a bit narrower (like 1 1/2 in instead of 3 or such) and cut it on the bias (it looks like you did that?) BUT be careful not to strech it while you are sewing it on....

Another option is to take the actual pattern bottoms and cut 2" pieces that you sew together and use as binding and it should fit perfectly ( I do that too sometimes if I dont want to make a full lining)

Thats so much nicer than my first dress, so dont take the above as critisim at all you did a BEAUTIFUL job...and you will figure all kinds of neat lining and finishing tricks the more of these you do!!
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:27 pm

ooooh AC, that's too pretty! I'm envious! :D :D :D :) GO YOU!
South Paw Sadie
Costume Afflicted

Postby South Paw Sadie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:44 am

AC, beautiful dress!! Gypsy, thanks for the suggestions on finishing. Think I'll give it a go. Gulp! :shock:
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:01 pm

Thanks for the compliments, everyone, and thank you so much for that tip, Josie. I'll remember that for my next dress. ON WHICH I have gotton so far as fitting and cutting out the bodice.
AC
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:13 pm

Oh yeah ....she has definatly got THE SEWING BUG! you go girl! :D
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
fetishfairy
Window Shopper

Postby fetishfairy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I love it!
I feel I belong somewhere else, some century ago...
Kelly V
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kelly V » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:00 am

Beautiful job

Return to “Show and Tell”