My First Bustle Dress!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

My First Bustle Dress!

Postby AspiringCostumer » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:09 pm

This is my first bustle dress. And please note, I never would have gotten into this era without the influence of the members of this board, so I'm hereby blaming all of you for all the time and energy I pour into this period.

Now, I'm calling it a cotton dress. The underskirt is cotton. The bodice and overskirt- well, the bolt of fabric claimed to be 100% cotton, but I'm positive it's polyester. Nonetheless, it looks like cotton and therefore we can pretend it's cotton. :)

I used the 460 bodice, the August overskirt, and the basic 1885 underskirt. I was going to trim it, but then realized that would ruin the effect. And anyway, it's a day dress, so who cares?

Here's the front:

The side:

And back... kindly ignore the unfortunate line caused by the top of my corset. It doesn't generally do that, and was apparently being contrary only because I was taking a picture.

And, because I asked so many questions about finishing, I took a picture of the inside. I ended up just pressing the seams open and (alas) zig-zagging the edges, seeing as I'm lazy and it gives the same general effect. I just used a bias binding for the bottom, and on the edges (which you can't see) I used a binding a few inches wide. I faced the sleeves with the lining fabric. By the way, the lining is cotton twill.
colleency
Inquiring Mind

Postby colleency » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:16 pm

What a beautiful job you've done!
victorian Carmen
Costume Afflicted

Postby victorian Carmen » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:17 pm

wow, it looks wonderful, congratulations , what a great job..
Carmen :D
Proud Member of the the Metropolitan Vintage Dance and Social Club..
check their new website at: http://www.metropolitanvintagedance.com
isara
Inquiring Mind

Postby isara » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:29 pm

looks fabulous and drapes so well!
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:55 pm

that is amazing.. and if there was any way in any lifetime that it would fit me that would be in my closet so fast :lol: :twisted: :D :D :D

Beth
Lady Fleur

Postby Lady Fleur » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:33 pm

Wonderful work!
Lauren
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lauren » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:45 pm

WOW! I am so impressed! Congratulations! Are you stuck like the rest of us and daydreaming of the next project?
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:31 pm

Oh! It turned out just wonderful! Now aren't you glad we bullied you into making a bustle era dress?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:24 pm

I love it! It looks fantastic on you, my Dear!

I'm glad to see the 460 from different angles, so thank you for posting those. Now I know I want that one, too!
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

My first bustle dress!

Postby drusillamonte » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:46 pm

Very , very nice, pretty too, what's next??? :D
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:06 am

reminds me of mina's day dress from Dracula. I not the colors are not right, but something about it.... Anyways, I love it!! Can't wait for the next one. :D
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:17 am

Aw, thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

YES I am stuck dreaming of the next one. I'm already getting restless wihtout a project to work on. It's been what? Like three days?

Now, only because you asked, Dru-
I got 7 yards of a dark pink plain weave silk on eBay for $25. The company sent swatches of all their silk, along with a price list, and I've never seen such good prices for silk. So then I started looking at fashion plates And I fell in love with this chemisette-thingy or whatever.
http://digital.nypl.org/mmpco/browseFTresults.cfm?&trg=2&image_id=804603&title=Evening%20bodice%2E&strucID=446466&dstart=1&titleid=409321&pstrucid=409321 So then I thought, how pretty would that look in white crepe de chine? And to use the 460 bodice, of the pink silk, and just scoop out a neckline? And then I thought, wouldn't the sleeves look pretty if I made plain short sleeves and then covered them with ruffles about an inch wide? And I started looking at skirts, and deceided I wanted the wash overskirt, with the apron white and the back and sides in the pink. And for an underskirt, I'd use the basic 1885 one, and (what do you call this) a triangle cutout around the bottom and fill it in with a ruffle of the crepe de chine. And I fell madly in love with the whole idea. But we'll see if it actually materializes. That silk company's stupid order form is the least comprehnsible thing I have ever seen in my life.
Amanda125
Information Junkie

Postby Amanda125 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:57 am

That is a beautiful dress! Great Job :D
Amanda
mellu
Window Shopper

Postby mellu » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:13 am

I love it

EnglaLouise
Window Shopper

Postby EnglaLouise » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:55 am

Beautifully done! You should be very proud of yourself.
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

My first bustle dress!

Postby drusillamonte » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Great idea on the next dress AC. The color combinations sound pretty. The chemisette could probably be made by taking the design of a plain one, an insert actually, in a high necked blouse would do, but double or nearly triple the size and gather the material vertically down to the normal size for you and insert it into a dickie type bottom and wear that under the dress top, which you stated you wanted scooped in front. Your opening could be in the back with a few hooks and eyes and the top would be held together with a velvet ribbon sewn on the gathers at the neck. I experiment with mock ups in both paper and cotton materials.
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
Merja
Inquiring Mind

Postby Merja » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:25 am

AC, you look wonderful!

That next project of yours sound very interesting. I can´t wait to see how it turnes out!
For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes, a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous.
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:20 pm

STUNNING! More, please
Lioness
Waterhousesmuse
Costume Afflicted

Postby Waterhousesmuse » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:04 pm

Very impressive, made even more so for a first attempt. (: I hope mine comes out as nicely!
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:20 am

Thank you! Dru, thank you so much for that explaination. Now I have to do this project :twisted: :D
AC

Return to “Show and Tell”