what contrast color would you use?

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
diana
Master Gabber

what contrast color would you use?

Postby diana » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:45 pm

I was at M&L Fabrics at lunchtime. I know, why do I torture myself? Well anyway, I found an absolutely gorgeous! deep purple brocade. It would be so heavenly to make an evening gown with it. (I found a deep purple velvet but never again will I sew those 2 together! :lol: ) My deep blue has definitely seen better days.

So please share your opinions. What contrast color (also brocade or possibly taffeta) would you use (other than black) that the Victorians would have used? I'm thinking ivory but then again....hmmm. Any suggestions?

I love this board. You girls are so helpful.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
DABramwell
Inquiring Mind

Postby DABramwell » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:02 pm

Is it a blue purple or a red purple? greens often look very nice with bluer purples.
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:49 pm

Are you looking for the body of the gown to be the purple? Or maybe just the underskirt, with the contrast for the bodice and overskirt, trimmed with the purple? From the fashion plates I've looked at, it seems that they liked to make the dark color into the skirt, and use a lighter color for the bodice and overskirt. Maybe a lavender or peach?
*hugs*
Sara
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:54 pm

You can't go wrong with purple and gold! I would go with a solid color, so as not to compete with the brocade. A silk, satin, faille (my personal favorite), taffeta, or something like that. Or maybe a stripe, but not another figured fabric, unless it is very muted. Add a hint of a third color for a really great bright look, like black or even green.. Or what the heck, orange!
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:14 pm

Gold would be wonderful! But I didn't see any gold satins or taffeta there. Probably have to run to the garment district for that. Thanks!

Heather is ribbing me about not noticing that orange and green concoction on the internet. :wink: I really thought that was red!

The purple was a blue undertone. Like the purple of a Queen's robe.

I wanted the bodice to be in the purple, with perhaps the contrast being the neckline and the sleeves (perhaps even the back panel). The overskirt would be purple brocade also with contrast trim.

Where have you found faille? I can't find it in OC.

On the Demode vintage website, did you see that gold lace (or whatever it was?) on the 1880 walking outfit? I posted it here (blue velvet bodice and overskirt with frothy gold lace or ruffles at the neck). Anyone ever see gold lace like this anywhere? It glowed!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:28 pm

ohhhh which one again from Demode... I love Heathers idea ...gold if it looks like Queens purple...well then ...you need Queens gold!! I have seen cordings done in real bright brassy gold...and I think the widest I have seen is 4 innches...If you did the back panel in gold and the bustled part and the back panel of the skirt it would have a regal look to it.

Where will you wear it?maybe you could do something with a theme? Im thinking of naming my christmas ball gown "mistletoe" and making it whiteor cream with drek green contrast and mistletoe in my hair and on the dress.
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:09 pm

The blue one I saw in Demode I posted the link somewhere on this website. Hmm, will have to go look for it.

Where have you seen 4" wide cording?

I would definitely wear this to our Code of the West Cmas Party.

If you want to see our group and what we do, go to www.codeofthewest.net.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:51 pm

Wow that looks like so much fun!! what s great looking bunch of folks!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:53 pm

Oh opps 4 in cording...it was at handcocks it was a gold/beige color...I remember thinking if I was a Ren/faire person I wouls scoop it all up it was 30% off at the time. I thought it was a bit much for victorian but...that might just be my conservitive nature showing :oops:
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086

Return to “Show and Tell”