Ok this is the Inspiration for the blue taffeta!!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Ok this is the Inspiration for the blue taffeta!!

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:03 pm

Heather could you give your oppinion as to the cover faberic? It says its organzia...which is that gauzy see though stuff right? It was made of silk then and is probably poly now right?

I feel a pattern order comming on... :D
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:04 pm

One more question...Im thinking that this over fabric was a cream once apon a time...and have browned with age? Is that right? Or do you think it was a tan color?
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:09 pm

You can still get silk organza, it's just a bit expensive and you'll probably have to either order it online or special order it from the wedding/special occasion department of your local fabric store. What you'd be looking for is sometimes called a windowpane check (that's the heavier lines woven into the material with more sheer squares). You may be right about the organza having originally been a cream or ecru color, but I also like it in the tan. It also looks as though the overlay material was originally woven with a stripe to match the teal, although that may just be the sheerness showing through. You may be able to find some organza in a stripe to match your material (or find the material to match the organza stripe :)).

Edit: I looked at the dress again and noticed that there's a side bow in a kind of cafe au lait color... I'd bet that that is the original color of the overlay! I don't know how much the silk would have age darkened, but it's considerably lighter than the overlay, yet still a beige/tan.
*hugs*
Sara
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:22 pm

Color do not fade so much during the victorian era. They were using analine dyes which were very resistant to fading. I would imagine the color to be very similar to the bow color, and not a cream at all. It looks to me to be a plaid organza. Today, I would look for a cotton equivalent, as the nylon organza if rather stiff. But if you like the stiffenss, then it will be fine. Actually, the more I look at the bow, I think it is the same as the dress, a changable taffeta, that changes color depending on how you look at it, tan or blue.

WOW, lovley dress!!
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:51 pm

Thanks ladies...bridal section it is...I have the blue taffeta already so I will just pretend that the money I spend on the organza is total dress cost :D and not accent fabric!!

I'm thinking the August overskirt? I think I can adjust the 1885 bodice, but the sleeve is wrong...any suggestions for a similar sleeve at the shoulder? and should I go with a natural form underskirt ?
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:04 pm

OMG! I just printed out that picture from the website today at work. I definitely want to copy all or part of it.

But you know what they say: Great minds think alike! :lol:
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:15 pm

Its the blue.... that heavenly blue color.... I always gravitate toward the blues...so why do I own so much neutral fabric!!!???? Sheesh...
I am planning a red and black dress if I win a certain fabric auction!!
I dont have a fabric district close to me yet...but soon ...CA soon!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:12 am

I think that's the bustled apron overskirt 305. The hem of the Aug overskirt curves under in the back. You wouldn't be able to put the trim in back.

Is that right, Heather?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:28 am

Actually, I think 365 would be the way to go. But don't pull up the back edges, like you said. Just leave it hanging long. Also, put in less pleats (only 2) and leave the side seam unsewn half of the way down. Oh, and curve the edges slightly to the hem, both front and back
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:48 pm

Thakyou Heather...thats the one then !! and Im looking at maybe a modified dinner bodice, Im checking the sleeve to my tea gown pattern with my 1885 bodice to see if it will work first...muslin was just on sale .99 a yard...bought 20 yards of it...let the creating and and trashing! begin!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:21 pm

That's a very pretty dress! :!:

Elizabeth
mezalildevil
Window Shopper

Postby mezalildevil » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:42 pm

Heather wrote:Color do not fade so much during the victorian era. They were using analine dyes which were very resistant to fading.

Your right about the aniline dyes Heather - However I would like to point out something.

While the dyes were resistant to fading some dyes were iron based. Which over the course of time and exposure to moist conditions caused some colors to rust which discolored the color. Evidence of some shades of red changing to brown tones, lavenders turning to gray etc is being found quite commonly.

While the aniline dyes were color fast, the Victorians were using a lye based soap which did have a tendency to fade the fabric.
They were also drying their clothes in the sun which we all know can fade the fabrics over time.
Also the effects of time can discolor clothing. My closet itself is evidence of this with dust marks upon the shoulders of everything hanging there.

So while the aniline dyes were resistant to fading, there were other factors which played apart in the discoloration of fabric.
Terri
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:45 am

Hey Josie.. let me know when you will be in CA.. I will meet you and take you around...
did I say I got 10 yards of the wool/linen chenille type embroidered fabric for $8?? she ( the shopowner) insisted I take it :lol: the type that looks like the renaissance embroidered bed hangings :wink: let me know.. I will take you :D of course the trick is for me not to buy a ton more for myself.. right, that will never happen.. they have tons of silk taffeta's in that store.. stripes checks *sigh* and the linens... *suigh* I might have to go for a fix.. it has been almost a month..... just another 10 yards.. not that much...
Beth
Madame Borgia
Costume Afflicted

Postby Madame Borgia » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:02 pm

I'm curious...have you given any more thought to how you're going to make the bodice?

This is a lovely gown! :)
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:05 pm

Hello... well I found a silk organza with checks in it today but I feel they were a bit bigger than I would like and the 20$ YD didnt thrill me either so I am going to keep looking.

Madame...I am thinking the bodice will be either 422 or 428. The dinner bodice would requirs only a lap at the front, a slight neck shape change, and change the shape if the back. I like the pleated back of the jacket and the neck shape is the same, I would have to alter the lapel, and the shape of the bottom front, of corse I dont need an exact copy either, but thats where Im at with it right now.I think I may delete some of the bows at the bodice front. I love the three rows of covered buttons!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086

Return to “Show and Tell”