This can not be victorian

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Lady Fleur

This can not be victorian

Postby Lady Fleur » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:10 am

Please date this photo??? I think teens or 20's???
Does anyone want it???
I was just given this yesterday and don't want to store it... Should I e-bay it???

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhoto ... 3962418208

Thanks
TRACYLYNN
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:16 am

I want to say the 20's also, but i'm not sure. :?
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:24 am

I am inclined to think 1910's, with the llonger hair, and lacy whitish top.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:29 am

I don't think it's the 20s. My grandmother's graduating class of 1926 showed EVERY girl in the same short bob with wavy hair. It's funny how everyone tried for the same look and not one girl in that class has long hair!

What am I saying? All typical teenagers try for the same look, no matter which era (however I am referring to NO ONE on this forum, as we have all agreed that everyone here is not normal! :lol: )
Last edited by diana on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 am

I beg to differ, Diana. As a whole, more or less, yes, but please don't make sweeping generalizations like that. Coming from your average, undiverse, upper-middle class suburb, I can say with some certainty that about 85% of the girls and a comparable percentage of boys might as well be clones of one another. That aside, what about the other 15%? Is it fair to lump all teenagers into one standard?
Merja
Inquiring Mind

Postby Merja » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am

What I remember from my teen years, most of my friends and myself tried so hard to be different, that in our pursuit for being different, we were quite similar. Not clones, we didn´t look the same, but the ideals of a different and special person were the same. The greatest compliment was: "You are weird."
For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes, a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous.
Fantasykleidung
Costume Afflicted

Postby Fantasykleidung » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:20 pm

There are large differences between the beginning of the 20's and the end. Nevertheless I would say this photo is made around 1917-19. I found some pictures from 1917 in which hairstyle and dress is very much alike the one you show us.
Lady Fleur

Postby Lady Fleur » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:30 pm

I think it is safe to say TEENS era! Would I be well off just framing it and hanging it in my house??? I don't think it would fetch much on e-bay?
Any ideas on price??? The picture is in great condition the outer paper holding it is frayed...
I am still doing research...

TRACYLYNN
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:39 pm

AspiringCostumer wrote:I beg to differ, Diana. As a whole, more or less, yes, but please don't make sweeping generalizations like that. Coming from your average, undiverse, upper-middle class suburb, I can say with some certainty that about 85% of the girls and a comparable percentage of boys might as well be clones of one another. That aside, what about the other 15%? Is it fair to lump all teenagers into one standard?

I was only joking. We all agreed in another thread that everyone here interested in Victorian costuming is "weird" and you (and other young teens here) are definitely not to be lumped in the typical teenager category. :lol: I'll edit it to read "all typical teens". Of course the only one I see as a teen on this forum is Frank! (Just kidding, Frank! Put down the knife!)

Merja: I was in the dork/nerd category along with my few close friends; it was very uncool to achieve 3.8 or better GPA and be a bookworm to boot. Also the helpful advice here is never let your mother pick out your glasses when you are 14 because she will pick out whatever makes you look ugliest! That way there are no concerns about rape and they are guaranteed that their sweet 16 has never been kissed! :lol: All joking aside,my dork friend, Mary (seal bearer of '76), went on to become manager of the Victim/Witness Program. Her dork husband now owns his own software company. My nerd brother (seal bearer of '74), Tim, retired from the Army as a Major, MI. I work in IT mgmt which is why I would rather joke around on this forum, because after a day with these demanding design engineers, you just need to have fun and lighten up! (English was one of my best subjects and it surprises me how many rocket scientists are such bad spellers. They just can't be bothered with it, I guess, because their main goal in life is more mathematical.) And the prom queen that we all envied for her beauty? Well, she has definitely changed and not for the better!

So AC, please inform all the rah rahs and the jocks: "Respect those 'weird' ones who do not conform to the norm; those bookworms that you shun. They will be signing your paychecks and it's best to be on their good side now!"

Frank! I said I didn't mean it! (We all know Frank is going places with his eye for design. We can say that we knew Frank way back when...)
Last edited by diana on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:57 pm

(Frank puts his knife down) Thank you diana. But if i ever become famous for what i do, i will first and formost thank... Well god, of course! :lol: :D Anyways, i will thank everybody here, DUH! You guys are the best people, and now that i think about it, we all are famous in our own little ways. That small Percentage of people who don't think we are weird, they might just look up to people like us and might want to be like us ( :? ). But i will say this: I would not be where i am today( design-wise) without heather and her amazing patterns. THANK YOU HEATHER!! :D

( Wow, that was a bad graduation speech)
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:00 pm

"(Wow, that was a bad graduation speech)"

Yeah, that pretty much sucked! Interested in a rewrite?

*Zing* Knife flying way too close to my head****
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Lady Fleur

Postby Lady Fleur » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:00 pm

I was a DRAMA GEEK. I fully support creativity! I was the girl to help keep a group of people that didn't fit in elsewhere together! I was the trophy hottie (also very well developed...) so to speak of the trekkie club. I had so many groups of friends in odd places....
My most awkward point was picking a person to walk in our graduation with... (our class was of over 1000) All of my friends were younger... So i asked our russian exchange student ! She was great! She was alienated because she didn't live here all of her life...
I hate the alienation that the media and hormones create.
I believe in loving others for their individuality!

I love to see the special sparkle in creative people, it is a thing of beauty!
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:02 pm

Trophy hottie? Let's see pictures!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:04 pm

it's victorian!!

1. her hair is not bobbed, but put up in a head band like this

http://www.philcoradio.com/zena/zd1002.jpg

2. she is wearing lingerie dress-would NOT have been worn in the twenties.

from these two facts, I judge it to be around 1913

Miss E.
Lady Fleur

Postby Lady Fleur » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:32 pm

the first picture on my web site page is when i was 17!
I will find my annual picture!
Hey in nerdville I was their QUEEN with a 36DD's. No...... they were a lot of sweet guys! I was more concerned with brains than brawn in HSchool. I had a theory the popular guys would be flops later and the brainey guys would go on to make $$ or do good things. Hmm I WAS RIGHT. Besides I could hold a conversation with the smart guys.. And I like that!
Last edited by Lady Fleur on Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:42 pm

I will NOT miss next time diana!!!! :twisted: :lol:
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:58 pm

That's you? Oh you were so sweet in a voluptuous sort of way! How old are you now or is that rude to ask? I'll tell if you do!

We should all post pics of ourselves at 17 or 18! You definitely don't want to see me at age 15 when I first got my horse. A dork on a horse is just too funny. But me on the horse at 17 shows the major changes that occurred in that 2 year time period. (It all started when I picked out my own glasses! :lol: )
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:03 pm

Frank: this will become a famous joke for you!

At your college graduation, you will become Valedictorian. As you end your speech, a rubber knife will whiz by your head. When you walk the red carpet after you become rich and famous, another rubber knife will whiz by your head. :twisted: Just grin and say it's your own inside joke from all us weird Truly Victorians.

Hey, a normal person would just throw tomatoes!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:07 pm

True also.... :D :lol:
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:17 pm

Diana, I didn't mean to come off nasty like that. I'll blame it on too much time with the seam ripper coupled with PMS. Apologies.

The thing about where I live, though, is that high grades are looked on positively. Like I said, my town is upper-middle class; a bedroom community that feeds the technology belt. Median house price around a half-million. Most kids' parents are very succesful. So kids are expected to get very high grades. And the school system is among the top 10 in the state. It's just a different atmosphere.
So the popular-kids-working-for-the-nerds standard doesn't apply here. The thing is, the group that could be construed as popular- it's almost Stepford, really. The ones on the tippy-top of the social ladder get straight As, play at least three sports, are involved in at least a half-dozen extra-curriculars. The rest of them aren't much different. But what goes hand in hand with that is that while they can be pretty b****y to each other, they're civil- even nice- to those outside their group.
One of those girls was in my social studies (history+ current events) class last year. We used to get into these very heated arguments regarding politics that the teacher actually thought were enriching, both for us and him. The rest of the class would just laugh because she and I aruged about everything and anything all the time. But at the end of the day, we respected each other and could even get along quite well.
There's really only a small group who would be nasty based on what image you exude. And that's the group that'll end up working for me or somewhen else one of these days.

And Fleur- I'm the exact same way about guys. I only like the ones I can carry on an intelligent conversation with. But they're few and far between. But really, I find that much more attractive then good looks.

Oh my god, did I blab long enough? Was I off-topic enough?

Return to “Show and Tell”