My 1885 brown dress

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

My 1885 brown dress

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:40 pm

Ok maybe not...is there a way to add an image as an attachment? Without having to post them to a URL first?
I have just the finishing touches to add to my new 1885 day dress and was hoping for some oppinions...

Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:51 pm

I realy like your dress! And I don't think you can link pictures directly from your computer withour a URL.

Elizabeth
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:54 pm

Ok sorry about that I figured it out!! Ok this is the 1885 bodice and 1885 underskirt, I have not pulled up the bustled part yet I am wearing the TV101 under it. I need to decide what if any trim to add, I had thought I would do pleates (LOVE pleats) but I almost like the simple lines...what do you ladies think. Heather ...LOVE the HAT!! this is the Artless hat!! The dress is a dark brown offset by a deep brick red under the arm and sides of the bodice and collar, I have more of this red not tons of it, I cut it out in the 303 draped over skirt pattern then thought it might be a bit much... I can post a photo of the dress with it, but as I used the majority for the overskirt ...I do not have enough say to make a wide pleat with the red at the bottom. Any susgestions will be appreciated!! Next I am going to make this same skirt with out the poof and the bodice with the alternate squared neckline from a 100% cotton solid periwinkle/dusty purple colored fabric...trying to decide if I like cream or black better as trim.
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:58 pm

I couldn't see the images. Hmm, wonder why? I'm dying to see your outfit!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:02 pm

Really? Hmmm...I got red x's on other folks before and dont know why either...I have no idea how to help with that
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:02 pm

did you try right click show picture?
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:35 pm

right clicked and selected show picture just now and I see can't see them. Hmm. Bummer. Guess you'll just have to send the dress to my house so I can see it up close! :lol:
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:12 pm

LOL...I have them posted at Yahoo...try this link maybe that will work

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vashti4ma ... /my_photos

If this won't work I will send you the dress!!...well at least a hard copy photo!! :D :D :D
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:38 pm

OK I have an idea...is this too wierd and non period?

what if I made a small pleat for the bottom of the boddice in contrast...ie red under the brown, brown under the red. then a wide pleat 8-10 inches at the bottom attached with a 2-3 in red bias strip? I wish I could visualize these things better...Oh and the cuff in a wide 4 in brown pleat with a small 1-2 in double edged red pleat in the center of the cuff? See? I cant decide...is that way over the top?
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Madame Borgia
Costume Afflicted

Postby Madame Borgia » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:45 pm

The Victorians loved layered trims, so I say pile 'em on! Heh! But that's just my opinion. Had I lived in Victorian times, I'm sure I would have been the woman wearing the over-the-top gown with lots of color and trim...and the older matrons would have been shaking their heads over it. Probably calling it a "vulgar display" Heh heh...

I'm curious, is that one of Truly Victorian's hat bodies that you are wearing in the photos?
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:52 pm

Madame Borgia...
Yes!! this is the Artless hat... I also have the Paris...love it, and the clio and the mosel... I just ordered them and I have not had time to decorate them yet, usually my Mother in law does the hats...she makes beautiful hats for me, I help her sew!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:09 pm

Josie:

I was able to open it, darn it. So you don't have to send it to me after all. You did a good job on it!

I was considering pleats at my bodice edge also but decided on a straight bias trim instead. It just looked better on my purple stripe.

I love the way my ruching turned out. Why don't you try that? I'll have to post it for you. After hemming both edges, the width is about 2". Then I sewed 3 rows of basting stitches, starting in the center, then one on each side about 1/2" from the middle stitch. Then I pulled the threads. It created a neat smocked effect, but the hemmed edges stayed ruffled. The trick was sewing it onto the pleat top and still keeping my sanity! I wish I had a sewing machine with more room between the needle and the machine casing. Trying to fit a 7" of pleat (attached to a 2" ruffle) in that small space was no easy task.

I also played with a wider strip of material with 5 rows of basting stitches and pulled the threads. What a neat look! I'm going to trim my overskirt with that. Why don't you experiment doing that for your wrist bands? It sure is a lot easier than pleating.

The other thing I did for my pleats is cut out a strip of the base color, then a wider strip of the contrast color (about 3 " wider), sewed it together, then turned it. I ironed it flat so that the top edge of both materials was flush but the bottom edge showed about an inch of contrast color. (You can also see a touch of the contrast color at the top.) Then I pleated the whole thing.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:23 pm

I saved the pictures and had them hosted, tell me if you don't want all of them here

Elizabeth

Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:15 pm

Thanks Elizabeth!! no I dont mind at all...

Diana...we have the same problem... I cant see your pictures...and only yours...what is wrong with our browsers?? They wont play nice!! I would love to see your purple striped dress! Would you try to re-post it?

I am in ruching rejection... I did a bit of it in black satin.... :x I know cotton would be better but I really did not have fun with it...thankfully it lookes so nice when I was done I felt it was worth it...I will have that pic by Laborday I want to post Marie wearing it... she is so excited ... she gets to be in her words "girly" and she never gets to dress up, so this dress was a big deal for her.
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:02 pm

I posted my shirred-look ruching in my purple dress thread. (You can't see the pictures? Oh no!)

Let me know if you can't see any of them, and I'll email the pics to you. I had a great time with this ruching! And I finally got the Art of Manipulating Fabric book today. I can't wait to go through it and see what else I can create.

I'm so interested in making my dresses look like the vintage ones on the internet! My husband is tired of seeing me at the sewing machine.
Last edited by diana on Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:28 pm

I also saw a book I am going to order ummm let me see its called

50 Heirloom buttons to make by Nancy Nhering Amazon has it for 13ish$

I thought it would be really lovely to make some of these buttons, I have seen many like them on antique gowns and such.
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086

Return to “Show and Tell”