TV101 Bustle

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
CatherineJS
Inquiring Mind

Postby CatherineJS » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:01 pm

Josie, for the ballgown, just use a strapless chemise. Any drawstring-neck chemise can be worn like a tube top, drawing the string over the top of the breasts and letting the sleeve bits just kind of hang in your armpits. (I don't recommend this with a chemise that has actual sleeves, but I've been doing it for years with the Folkwear chemise). Voila, no chemise hang-out.

Catherine
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:06 pm

Thankyou cathrine...I think I will try that... I have a few pictures of sleeveless ones with buttons at the shoulder...now if I can just get my lazy self off the boards and over to the cutting table :roll: :? :lol: :lol:
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
DABramwell
Inquiring Mind

Postby DABramwell » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:51 pm

I wear a cotton tube top under my corset when the chemise puckers will be an issue, the spandex in the top means that it doesn't pucker at all and I don't have to worry about the neckline. I generally wear a modesty skirt when I do this to keep any accidents from flashing the goods.
Merja
Inquiring Mind

Postby Merja » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:51 am

I´m with Diana, the gathers of the LM chemise are too much for me. Just too much fabric. TV 105 combination is the best! Very comfortable. No bulking.
For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes, a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous.
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:41 am

off topic again.

I WANT THAT PIANO!!!!! :D

We jsut have an old wood one from 1980 (oh brother) and I know that old ones can't be very good for practicing pieces well, but I just want one that's upright and has ivory keys! (I have a friend that does, so i go borrow hers! :wink: )
Miss e.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:04 am

Greeneyed Gypsy wrote:I am mixed about running around in underthings...I think its really cute on others...but no sure I could do it myself...which is funny as I have no issues wearing a bathing suit at the beach LMAO

Josie, that's because beaches are appropriate places to wear a bathing suit. But would you go out to dinner or do your grocery shopping in one?

That's why Miss Emma cringes when she sees women in their unmentionables traipsing around in their underwear at old west events. Heavens, soiled doves at the time did not go around town like that. They'd be run out by the proper ladies. They needed to mind their p's and q's in order to stick around and make a living.

Diana, you won't let me go out to dinner in my jeans---I won't let you go out in public in your undies. :lol:
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

TV 101Bustle

Postby drusillamonte » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:41 pm

It was and is illegal in public in Tombstone to wear unmentionables out of doors. Some one thought it would be cute about eight years ago, probably the gals in Big Nose Kate's to serve drinks in a corset and bloomers.
Unfortunately it caught on and now we have the shady ladies doing it all over as if it was historically correct! Gakkkk!!
Our reenactment group is making a concentrated effort to stop having members do this as we are known world wide for our authenticity. I keep threatening to make them all wear nighties for a day like they really did, but they did not go outdoors in them. What the SASS shooters wear is up to them, they do not have to be correct, just comfortable.
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:38 am

It caught on for the series "Deadwood" as well. Why does Trixie parade about town in her petticoat and corset?

And Emma, get up off the floor! I was only teasing you! :lol: (Emma is just as dramatic as Sarah Bernhardt, falling in a swoon. She should be your next cameo!) :lol:
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Merja
Inquiring Mind

Postby Merja » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:09 am

It´s a pity how so many films have lost their credibility in my eyes after I started sewing. Not so long ago I saw a movie in which women wore their corsets on top of their dresses in a dance party. I might have bought it several years ago, but not anymore. I guess victorians were too conservative to arouse intrest in todays audience.
For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes, a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous.
ashamanja babu
Information Junkie

Postby ashamanja babu » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:19 am

Merja wrote:It´s a pity how so many films have lost their credibility in my eyes after I started sewing.

I feel this way, too! It's so sad to watch movies where the costumes are crappy and modern, but that I totally loved before I started researching this kind of thing. And yeah, you do see a lot of undies exposed inappropriately in victorian-era movies.

For a great list of costume movie reviews, check out Demode's site:

http://demode.tweedlebop.com/cinema.html
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

TV101 Bustle

Postby drusillamonte » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:11 am

Diana,
Sorry it took me a day to get back to the computor, I had two performances yesterday.
I actually have been wearing an authentic short cotton chemise and cotton camisols under my corsets. I always shower first, use a nice lotion on my skin and then after I am totally dry I powder everywhere that will not be exposed. Exposed areas get a dose of sunscreen (that I buy at the health co-op here). Then I put on my socks and boots first and the camisole next, corset after that, pantaloons, petticoat (non-bustle), bustle pad over that, then bustle petticoats over that. Most of the time I wear three petticoats. Now I know this seems like alot of stuff considering the heat we have here, but all this is cotton and actually is comfortable, it absorbs all the moisture and cools me and the cotton breathes. Of course one does not run races in this get up and I do use my hand fan and parasol when in sunlight. I just got Heather's pattern for the combinations, I can't wait to make some and I probably will be wearing
that under the corset, that way I won't have to wear pantaloons over the corset any more. I never could get comfortable with them under the corset.
If I had a dollar for every time some tourist asked me if I was hot I would be rich. But just because they are nearly naked and baking and I am wearing tons of clothing it does not mean I am dying from the heat.
:roll: By the way it is going to be over a hundred here today! :wink:
Oh and as to Trixie in Deadwood, I finally got to rent it and am sorry to say it made me sick to watch it. The language is foul and the costuming is NOT period correct in many respects. No reason for that when they had the potential to do much better with the talent that was there.
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:25 am

Yup, I find more cotton layers keep me more comfortable because it feels like I'm dealing with only my own body heat. Not enough layers and you feel the sun's heat bearing down right through you as well as your own body heat rising. But it has to be cotton, not a blend.

Also, the extra petticoats and longer drawers act as a shield to keep that reflective heat from the asphalt off.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:26 pm

Dru: I second that about Deadwood's language. Could they possibly have said the F word and the C word back then as much as they do on this show? I'm clearly tired of the F word as an adjective and the C word as a noun. Can't they call people other things? There must be other words they can use! I feel like writing to them and giving them other suggestions! :lol:

I like Alma Garrett's clothing. She is almost always p.c. Once I saw her in a blouse that was clearly early 1890s but that was only once.

I've seen the short cotton chemises on ebay but they've never been in my size (either way too big or way too small)! I'll keep looking. I think that will end my problem with my own chemise but I really need something under the corset to prevent the heat rash that I've been getting. And if it's historically accurate, all the better! Thanks!

See you in Oct!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:06 pm

I do something simular under my victorian corsets, I buy stretch knits used for cuff making and just cut it to length of my torso so there are no straps to fuss with and it is snug and soft and keeps oils off the corset. I have yet to get around to making a victorian chemise, but I love my renny partlet!
Heather when will you be making a pattern for a nice corset cover or am I stuck just using my bodice pattern shortened and without sleeves?
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:12 pm

You know, sometimes you can find really cute cotton sleeveless shirts at thrift stores and turn them into corset covers. I have one that has verical tucking vertically along both closures. I just added some darts in front and back and ended up with a fitted corset cover.

Diana, you have GOT to wear something under that corset! I can't imagine wearing a corset against bare skin. Ew! Even a cotton modern tank will do.
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:52 am

Oh deadwood..dont get me started...I dont GET it?!?!?!?! I am soory but I know they say it is a mining town and that the sheriff fined people for swearing as it had gotton so bad...but come on! I don't buy it, I don't care how rough and remote it is suposed to be I find it hard to believe that the manners took that much of a departure from the norm.
I can't relly watch it enough to get any kind of story line, and have only seen Alma's stuff on the website so I can't speak to the costumes very much either...I so agree that the money talent and information is out there to do so much better!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:13 am

There's no limit to the depth to which human depravity can sink when left unrestrained.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:16 am

We should all write lettes to the producers of Deadwood as follows:

"We are F'g sick and tired of all the F'g curse words on your F'g show, Deadwood. Please find some other F'g verbs, adjectives and pronouns for this F'g show because surely you C* suckers know more than just these two!"

Signed, Calamity Jane
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:21 am

ROFL.

Count me in!!!
lilsis
Costume Afflicted

Postby lilsis » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:21 pm

On the layers of cotton: I was very pleasantly surprised at how cool I was even with all the clothing I wear. And, yes, I would already be rich if I had a dollar for everytime someone's said, "I don't know how people survived back then with all those clothes!! :roll:

Here is how I dress: drawers, camisole (I like this better than the chemise), stockings & boots, corset (first thing you learn the first time you get completely dressed--it's sooo much easier to put your boots on before your corset :lol: ), bustle pad, then my petticoats (usually two), skirt and bodice. Oh, I usually do my hair right after putting on my corset, then re-do the ties after that. If I don't re-do my corset ties, my corset becomes really loose once my body starts to "shape" and I find that a little annoying.

I've never worn a true chemise. I have a light cotton summer-type nightgown that looks a lot like chemises, so I wore that. Then, one day, it was dirty, and I wore a camisole instead, and liked the way I felt in it a lot better. [/i]
~Love, Sasha

Return to “Show and Tell”