TV101 Bustle

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

TV101 Bustle

Postby AspiringCostumer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:05 pm

Here's my completed bustle! And underneath is my Silverado corset and the chemise from Simplicity 9769. Please excuse the bare feet and pink toenails :roll:

Now that I have the proper underwear I can start the 1883 dress I've been planning. I'm so excited!
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:35 pm

YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!

It looks great! Congrats!!!! :D :D :D

Miss E. :)
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:55 pm

Congrats...and may I say that this has got to be the only "hobby" in the world where such a fuss can be made over a first project of undergarments :wink: :lol:
You look great...! Isent it wonderful to start putting all the pieces together?
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Merja
Inquiring Mind

Postby Merja » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:31 am

Yes you look very good indeed. And the corset seems to fit all smooth and perfect. I hope to see your complete dress soon!
For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes, a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous.
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:25 am

You can't really say much about underwear, as a guy, with out getting slapped in the face, soo....Good Job!! :? :wink:
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:50 am

Tell tell!! since of course we are very aware that all that expanse of white fabric and peeking flesh just has that......

Umm yeah right we do not want men to comment on our victorian underwear at all .. yeah thats right.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

**snicker snicker snort**

why do you thnk there are so many women who want to be saloon girls.. duhhhhhhh

Beth
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:28 am

Totally off topic: Is that a piano you are standing next to? It looks like a player piano.
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
lady_'o_light
Costume Afflicted

Postby lady_'o_light » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:50 am

Wow, your underwear looks so great! Keep up the good work!
I'm really impressed :)
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

TV 101 bustle

Postby drusillamonte » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 am

Looks fantastic! Proper underpinnngs are very important. No small feat to have made all those foundations! Can't wait to see your dress. What are you planning?
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 am

Dru: speaking of underwear, do you wear a chemise under your corset or just a corset cover? I can't seem to get comfortable in my new chemise under the corset and end up removing it because it bunches under my bodice (at the top of the corset). It still feels too bulky although I cut out some of the fabric gathers, but it's probably because I made the mistake of using LM's pattern instead of Heather's. :cry:

But the chemise would make an excellent summer nightie so at least I didn't make it in vain!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:18 pm

Diana are you laceing you corset snuggly? Nothing and I mean NOTHING moves under my corset when it is laced up....I think corset covers go over the corset. :?:
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:26 pm

you beat me to that green.. the corset cover goes over... for like those sheer muslin dresses..

hhmm back to searching ebay.....
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the compliments

Josie, you're right on the money. That's why we love this- because you can marvel over every single piece.

The corset does fit really well- thanks again to those who advised me during fitting (and gave moral support.)

The dress I'm planning right now is a cotton day dress. The bodice (460) and overskirt (365) are a pale green striped fabric (tiny, tiny stripes) and solid green for the underskirt (201). I'm hoping to trim everything with ruches, but we'll see if that materializes.

Frank, that is a piano in the background. A year or two ago, a friend was moving (to Texas, incidently) and the piano was hers. It's musical stuff is in terrible condition,and restoring it would cost more than it's worth, so she gave it to us as a piece of furniture. It's a Kimball and dates to the 1890s.

And on another note, I wear my Simplicity chemise under my corset. It has a ton of fabric in it, but I like it that way because it cushions me from the steel bones. When I wear something thin under, I find that they can jab into me.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:55 pm

Josie: yes, I know the corset cover goes over the corset. I know some women who wear them to cover the corset and that's it. No chemise as well under the corset which seems like way too much clothing under a form-fitting bodice, IMO. My corset is quite comfortable next to my skin so just wondered what everyone else likes to do, especially in the summer heat.

I've seen some wear the corset cover under the corset and then walk around in their drawers on a hot day. (I would love to do that but Miss Emma would be shocked! Probably faint as well.)

My chemise is simply too bulky and tight lacing isn't going to remove that bulk. There's too much gathered fabric popping out over the top of the corset. Does that make sense? Merja indicated that as well when she finished the LM chemise so I know she understands the problem.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:03 pm

If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is not with the chemise under the corset (necessarily) but more with the part of the chemise that's above the top edge of the corset and below the top band of the chemise. Something you might want to try is putting on the chemise, putting the corset over it, and then tugging down the chemise and arranging the material inside the corset so there are no big lumps of chemise. Then tighten the corset up in stages, stopping to tug the chemise down and rearrange if necessary. This is something I have to do with my Renaissance bodice and chemise so that I don't end up with bruises from the lumps of chemise, and also to get the neckline to lay correctly.

As for Victorian... I've never actually worn a chemise under a corset. In the past, I always wore a white cotton knit camisole under my corset, just to keep the sweat and body oils off of the material. The neckline of the camisole was very low so it didn't interfere with my ball gown neckline. Very comfy and lightweight.
*hugs*
Sara
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:12 pm

yes, you see the problem. I have a form fitting cotton camisole (not p.c.) that I usually put under the corset. However I can't wear it with dinner dress necklines thus the need to make a chemise.

I did pull it down all around after getting the corset over it. The back still puckers below the yoke area and above the corset. These puckers show through my cotton day dress bodice and looks terrible. The yoke gathers are creating this effect.

I just need a more form-fitting chemise, I guess.

Thanks for your suggestions, Sara!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:22 pm

You might want to try Simplicity 5726. It's the one I'm going to make. It's smooth into the band at the top, and has a nice wide/low neckline to accomodate evening styles. Heather's chemise pattern has a similar style, though more of a V neck than round.
*hugs*

Sara
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:23 pm

wow i wear mt LM chemise under my PP corset and have never had a problem like that... and before LM it was the folkwear chemise....maybe you could just use a little less fabric :roll: :wink:

of course now i have to make a LM corset since I lost the PP corset....

and G & H lost my order.. but are 2nd day airing it to me.. so i have a week and a half to make corset and dress.... ggod thing i already have the petticoates and chemise and bustle...... better go double check on the chemise..

Beth
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:48 pm

I have that Simplicity chemise also; (Gosh darn you, Simplicity, for your blatant contradiction of your name, but convenient $0.99 pricing!) it's convenient in that you can pull it all the way to the top of your corset, but it does have the tendency to pin your arms down.
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:49 pm

Ahhh yes I see what you are saying Diana....hmmm...I just have not had that issue wonder why? I do wear the LM chemise, I wear that and the corset, and no corset cover bloomers and bustle and dress and maybe one peti but not usually any more in the heat.

I wear just the corset with my ball gown though cause the chemise does show with that dress.

I am mixed about running around in underthings...I think its really cute on others...but no sure I could do it myself...which is funny as I have no issues wearing a bathing suit at the beach LMAO
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086

Return to “Show and Tell”