Hello! Here are my dresses...

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Becky
Window Shopper

Postby Becky » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:40 pm

Hello!

I'm new to the board.
I wanted to show you my victorian dresses.

This one was my first: Green and white stripes.

Becky
Window Shopper

Postby Becky » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:42 pm

This was a ball gown, I wore last year:

And finally, this ist my latest dress: Green and white (I love this colors :wink: ) coton satin.

Karolina
Information Junkie

Postby Karolina » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 am

Ah, stunning! The black&white pictures are wonderful! The last one is my favorite :D :D :D
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:30 am

those are beautiful!

Miss E.

P.S. Welcome!!!! :D
victorian Carmen
Costume Afflicted

Postby victorian Carmen » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:00 am

oh, they are gorgeous, congratulations, you look very nice.
Carmen :D
Proud Member of the the Metropolitan Vintage Dance and Social Club..
check their new website at: http://www.metropolitanvintagedance.com
CatherineJS
Inquiring Mind

Postby CatherineJS » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:09 am

Those are so beautiful! I'm making the draped skirt for myself right now, so I've been looking at the pictures of the striped dress in the comments section.

Can you tell us more about which patterns you used and how you made them? I'm especially curious about the bodice on the new satin dress. It's so pretty!

Thanks, and again, lovely work!
Catherine
Prussian Blue
Inquiring Mind

Postby Prussian Blue » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:42 am

Absolutely smashing!

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers

PB
Nehm'se jruen, det hebt Ihn'n!
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:49 am

I like the last one also!! Love those two colors together.

Frank(who is still on his high from getting velvet at $2 a yd at an antique store!!)
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

Postby drusillamonte » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:06 pm

Very nice work Becky! What started your interest in dressmaking? I see by your address you are in Germany, what events do you wear your dresses to?
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
Amanda125
Information Junkie

Postby Amanda125 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:59 pm

Those are very beautifull I realy like the last one and the first one too. Great Job. You look great in them :D
Amanda
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:02 pm

Welcome Becky ...absolutly beautiful gowns...

I might be wrong...but I have a hunch the last bodice is the polinaise...shortened???
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:30 am

Welcome, Becky! Absolutely Fabulous gowns! Great photos!! You are so beautiful in them! I LOVE THEM ALL! You will find that STRIPES are a favorite here on TV. All your dresses are stunning.!! :D :D
Lioness
Becky
Window Shopper

Postby Becky » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:39 am

Hallo again!

First I want to say that my English is not very good. So I'm sorry for perhaps using strange formulation. :wink:
I try my best to answer your questions. :)
And thanks to you all for your nice comments! :oops: *blush*

Greeneyed Gypsy wrote:Welcome Becky ...absolutly beautiful gowns...

I might be wrong...but I have a hunch the last bodice is the polinaise...shortened???

I altered the patterns für the polonaise and the tail bodice. My inspiration was a pattern in Janet Arnolds patterns of fashion which shows a natural form dress. I decided to alter the front of the polonaise, so it look like the dress in the book. The side front hasn't benn changed. I took the side back from the tail bodice and made the tail much bigger. At least nearly 30" width. I made pleats under the center back waist section.
The back is the polonaise back.
I drew the pattern for the arms myself because I don't like those puffs at the top of the arms.

CatherineJS wrote: Can you tell us more about which patterns you used and how you made them? I'm especially curious about the bodice on the new satin dress. It's so pretty!

I tryed to tell above. :)

drusillamonte wrote:Very nice work Becky! What started your interest in dressmaking? I see by your address you are in Germany, what events do you wear your dresses to?
Dru

thanks!
I started to reenactment when I was 18 years old. I worked at historical fairs. First my interest was the medieval but there came more periods which were quite interessting.
I made dresses from medieval, renaissance and victorian period. At the moment I work at a dress from 1780 an at a natural form dress.
I wear my dresses at life action role plays and at fairs and balls. The second dress on the pictures are from a historical ball last year in Kassel in Germany.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:30 am

Becky, your English is just fine! I'm no one to criticize anyway since I don't know German.

Your dresses are lovely. I always marvel at those who can alter patterns so much.

Have you ever come to America to do any reenacting? I know there are a couple of German reenacting groups that go to Tombstone every October to perform.
Becky
Window Shopper

Postby Becky » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:03 pm

Dana wrote:Becky, your English is just fine! I'm no one to criticize anyway since I don't know German.

Your dresses are lovely. I always marvel at those who can alter patterns so much.

Have you ever come to America to do any reenacting? I know there are a couple of German reenacting groups that go to Tombstone every October to perform.

I haven't been to America jet.
I'm still going to collage and can not spendt so much money for a trip to America until I have graduated. But my exams are not fare away.
I'm sure I will vistit the U.S.A. then.
But until then I have to stay in europe for my holydays.

I know some people who do civil war reenactment here but I'm not sure if the've been to America for such an event.
EnglaLouise
Window Shopper

Postby EnglaLouise » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:09 am

Dear Becky, you are most welcome to the board! I remember seeing your dresses in the comment photos and now that I have seen even more photos of your lovely dresses, I want to tell you how talented I think you are in making dressing dreams come true.

You are lucky to have historical gatherings and balls to go to in Germany and I am so happy for you. I am Swedish, and I truly miss having such events to take part in. We do have some historical fairs to go to, but no Victorian balls as far as I know. There are probably not enough Victorians here to make it happen. I would die for a day or evening surrounded by ladies and gentlemen in Victorian costumes. I guess I will have to go abroad, to USA, England or perhaps Germay.
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

Here are my dresses.....

Postby drusillamonte » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:59 pm

Come to Tombstone, Arizona. We dress Victorian 1880's all the time.
The best times to come here are for celebrations which we are having almost every month now. Helldorado in October is the best.
Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
Becky
Window Shopper

Postby Becky » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:01 am

EnglaLouise wrote:You are lucky to have historical gatherings and balls to go to in Germany and I am so happy for you. I am Swedish, and I truly miss having such events to take part in. We do have some historical fairs to go to, but no Victorian balls as far as I know. There are probably not enough Victorians here to make it happen. I would die for a day or evening surrounded by ladies and gentlemen in Victorian costumes. I guess I will have to go abroad, to USA, England or perhaps Germay.

I have to say, I was astonished to hear, you have no such events. I know a friend in Norway, who tells that the people there, an in Sweden too, are very interested in historical things. She often tells about an opera ball in Oslo.
I thought in the nordish countries are more interesting historical events.

But if there are not, perhaps you'll find some friends who are interstes in historical clothing and can establish asocietywith that backround there.
This ist, what we did here in Germany. We meet in a messageboard from a side that sells the truly victorian patterns. First we were just few people but
our group grew up.

If there is somone who speaks German and ist intersted, here's the adress from the board:
http://52657.rapidforum.com/
There is a user Gallery we started to built 3 weeks ago. It is still growing.
Most people there are very interested in victorian fashion.
Fantasykleidung
Costume Afflicted

Postby Fantasykleidung » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:15 am

Hi Becky :)

Nice to meet you here!
EnglaLouise
Window Shopper

Postby EnglaLouise » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:06 am

I have to say, I was astonished to hear, you have no such events. I know a friend in Norway, who tells that the people there, an in Sweden too, are very interested in historical things. She often tells about an opera ball in Oslo.
I thought in the nordish countries are more interesting historical events.

But if there are not, perhaps you'll find some friends who are interstes in historical clothing and can establish asocietywith that backround there.
This ist, what we did here in Germany. We meet in a messageboard from a side that sells the truly victorian patterns. First we were just few people but
our group grew up.

Nordic people are indeed interested in history, but I think many lack the courage to make history alive, to express their interest in costuming and re-enactment. I have to say, though, that I may not be aware of everything taking place in Sweden. Yet I know of one Swedish re-enactment group of the 1700s, which I intent to join since I am also font of that era. I was very glad to hear about the opera ball in Oslo; I will definitely look that up. Does your friend in Norway do re-enactment?

I truly loved the photos in your German gallery; thank you for posting the link! The member Lady 1870 had made some beautiful costumes of the 1700's as well as the 1870's. Please forward my words to her! I just wish I knew German, so I could understand your conversations in the forum.

Return to “Show and Tell”