How many Victorian outfits do you have?

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
diana
Master Gabber

How many Victorian outfits do you have?

Postby diana » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:46 am

How many Victorian outfits do you have (whether you made them yourself or not)?

I have 8.

1885 Blue satin/brocade (it's seen better days; needs to be retired)
1875 Blue velvet/brocade
1885 pink cotton
1875 blue-gray cotton
1878 purple stripe
1878 green velvet evening gown
Saloon girl
1890 blouse and skirt
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:49 am

Sound like a new poll! :wink:

Elizabeth
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 am

Well, you guys need to keep sewing!

I have 28 wearable complete dresses. Plus several misc. peices like shirts and capes. I also sold at least 10 of my older dresses a couple years ago.

My sister has 28 also. (Wow what a contest that was.) No wait, one of hers doesn't have buttons yet, doesn't count!!!!! 27!! Ha! :twisted:

And the really amazing thing is, I can never find anythign to wear and need more dresses! We have enough fabric in the house to make at least 30 dresses. (so why is it when I want to make a new dress I have to go to the fabric store?)
Miss Elisabeth
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Elisabeth » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:24 am

you guys are funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:31 am

Haha! Heather sounds like me! Clothes in the house but what to wear?

And I forgot to mention my velvet cape! One of the ladies in our group was at the thrift store last year and picked up a short evening dress with the most fantastic gold appliques! She gave it to me to rip off and sew onto my cape. Looks awesome. She bought the dress for $7 and I'll bet it would have cost a lot more to purchase this trim in the fabric store.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Postby buttonwillow » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:43 pm

Diana, I think we should start a new topic: "OMG, guess what I just bought?" I go to my favorite second hand store at least once a month. I look for regular clothes to wear but I also look at the garments in the "Dress-up dresses" section in search of some wonderful buttons or lace or fabrics that can be recycled. Several years ago I found yards and yards of machine lace on a dress that I used to decorate a Hallowe'en costume and a dressy Victorian-inspired blouse. The dress cost me fifty cents or a dollar. In fact, I still have a bunch of that lace.
Koshka
Costume Afflicted

Postby Koshka » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Let's see...

I have 5 Victorian, but in all I have 29, I think it is. This includes Regency, Romantic, 18c, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

A few of those are earlier things that'll I'll most likely never wear.

As for underwear, I have loads of that too. Seven corsets, a lot of petticoats (though many of the 18c are meant to show), lots of chemises...

No, not at all obsessed!
Vienna Le Rouge
Costume Afflicted

Postby Vienna Le Rouge » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:54 am

Hmmm, let's see. The ones I haven't made for other people:
So far, 5.
1880 polinase in deep plum velvet.
1883 "Georgian inspired" polinase in purple/black taffeta.
1880 blush satin princess overdress (wearable but still in progress).
1885 Burgundy satin, black brocade, blk/red taffeta, and black lace Visiting Toilette.
1879 Blue/black taffeta tie-back overskirt.

xoxo
~V
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:02 am

Victorian: just one, and not wearable (well, not by me). It's a royal blue moire taffeta ball gown, hooks up the front of the bodice and has a double/triple layer of cream colored lace around the neck and down the front. The skirt is plain, elliptical shaped, closes on the back right (the nice man who made it for me did it backwards. Oops! I told him I never understood why closures are on the left when most people are right handed anyways.) And foundation garments to go with it: corset (which doesn't fit, and is the reason I can't wear the gown), hoop slip from a wedding supply place with ruffles on the bones, short petticoat (there's no ruffle at the waist, and it made the skirt do wierd things, so I made a 14" or so mini-petticoat to smooth the line out), bustle pad to swing the hoop back and make it appear elliptical, bloomers. I would need new jewelry to go with it, too. Years ago I bought a lovely gilt/cameo set of earrings, necklace, and brooch, all with the cameos in blue, pearls, etc. The gilt is mostly worn off now, though, and I lost the brooch (which I needed to pin the top of the bodice closed!) at the last ball I attended. /sigh

I have a ton of Elizabethan stuff, though, since I work at the Ren Faire in SoCal. I couldn't even begin to count, though I know I have at least mmmm 4 full outfits that fit, and that's not including mix and match pieces. For instance, one of my "outfits" is for my "dead dancers" group, and I have at least 2 shirts/chemises, a bodice, 2 bloomers, and 4 skirts :). That's almost 2 whole outfits :P.
*hugs*
Sara
kate
Inquiring Mind

How many?

Postby kate » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:35 pm

Wow, I'm really dragging my feet! I only have 4 and a few "seperates." I'm showing this thread to my husband! He needs to see that I'm not alone in my addiction.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:05 pm

We should show this site to all the husbands! I'm tired of mine telling me to "give it a rest!" :lol:
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
cathyo
Costume Afflicted

Postby cathyo » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:29 pm

It depends on how you count; most of the items I've made are separate pieces.

I count it as five:

One beige 1840;s dress;
One pink 1890s ballgown;
One green 1860s gown, with day and ball bodices;
Blouse and skirt for 1890s day wear
Blouse and bustls skirt for 1870s day wear (working on the ball bodice now)

Now ask me how many costumes I have for historic periods earlier than Victorian. :-)

I made my Victorian dresses for live action role playing games. So I've tried a number of different companies' patterns, and so far I like TV's the best.
--Cathy Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>
Fannie Kikinshoot
Inquiring Mind

Postby Fannie Kikinshoot » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:03 pm

Heather wrote:Well, you guys need to keep sewing!
And the really amazing thing is, I can never find anythign to wear and need more dresses! We have enough fabric in the house to make at least 30 dresses. (so why is it when I want to make a new dress I have to go to the fabric store?)

ROFLMAO!! You sound just like me. I came home from work one day and my husband said, "Honey, Hancock Fabrics called." I was ecstatic wondering what they would have wanted. When I asked if they left a message he said, "Yeah, they are out of fabric and wondered if you would bring them some!" Then he rolled his eyes as he saw the bag from JoAnn's in my hand!

Let me think about this question, how many Victorian outfits do I have. Does that include "Saloon Girl Outfits"? Hey, I use TV patterns to make those, too.
Okay, I have 19 complete outfits! That doesn't include my B-Western, Leather, Cowgirl or Pantaloon Outfits,or my separates. I am currently designing six new dresses to make for the SASS Convention that will be in December in Vegas.

Geeze, I gotta get busy!
It's not how good I shoot, it's how good I look, while I'm shooting!
The Carolina Belles
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:50 am

Hehehehe, I have to contrl myself when going to the local Savemart (2nd hand store) as I generally trawl the wedding dress for lace and usable silk, the blankets and curtains, sarees and jewellery sections.

Because heaven knows I don't have enough in my stash already.. it covers a table in the garage.. about 6 of those stripey travel bags, three 40l containers, a wardrobe.. and then the beads.....

Anyway.. as to victorian garb:
first ever sewing attempt was a princess seamed open dress, but it's only Victorioid...
1881 taffeta dinner ensemble from Patterns of Fashion
1881 stage costume from Phantom of the Opera (Blue "Wishing" Dress)
1881 stage costume from Phantom of the Opera (wedding dress, though the new skirt needs the lace trim and the bodice no longer fits... sigh.
late 1870s black ensemble, actually a mix and match of: pleated trained skirt, gored overskirt tacked into place, high collared plain sleeved bodice, bolero and trim.

umm... made a couple of corsets and some drawers... and have got a new Wishing Dress started. The bodice is patterned and ready to be sewn up.

Hmmmm... must make more....

(Yay there is an edit button!)
And a dolman wrap for a stage show. I must get some decent photos of it though..
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:29 am

lol for mayself completed I have 3 a ball gown my mom made a hoop dress my mom also made and my 1885 walking dress. Now dresses I have made for others....
a working dress for my MIL 1870's
A natural form MIL
a Skirt to go with a pagoda bodice
an 1875 dress
various childrens clothing, knickers, bloomers, bonnets ect.

Now if you asked how much fabric I have that could be made into dresses....well....thats a whole other story!! :D :D

I have three dresses in progress and two corsets!
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
cathyo
Costume Afflicted

Postby cathyo » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:01 pm

I still have fabric for a 1840s ballgown I meant to make, and an 1885 ball bodice I need to make before the end of January (the skirt and overskirt are already done, thank goodness).

:-)
--Cathy Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>
aylwen
Costume Afflicted

Postby aylwen » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:38 pm

For myself - I have an 1860s gown with hoop and corset using the simplicity pattern, chemise using Jean Hunnisett
I'm working on a purple/silver TV gown at the moment, last year made the grand bustle. I made a TV jacket last year but its still unfinished. Clients orders stepped in the way and took precedence!
I have lots from other eras but the hoops and bustles of this era kept me back for a while.
I have 4 outfits to make for a dance group I manage - we have a display on Australia Day next year (Jan 26) in Berrima NSW and then after that in Canberra and I want us all in bustles - everyone else wears mid-80s hoops around here so this way we'll look different!
Cheers, Aylwen
http://www.earthlydelights.com.au

Return to “Show and Tell”