Dickens on the Strand - Galveston TX

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
DragonFox
Window Shopper

Dickens on the Strand - Galveston TX

Postby DragonFox » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Hello All!

I have been stalking this site for about a year now and finally got my sewing skills where I wanted them. I made my very first Victorian dress and wore it to Dickens on the Strand in Galveston TX.

I met a very nice lady there in a lovely pink and white polonaise dress which she made from your patterns as well. The whole day was a very nice experience, and I plan on attending again next year as well as looking for things to do in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Sadly, I dont have any good pictures of my complete dress, nor can I find one of the lady I met. If any of you ladies that have been just reading this site and not posting have actually attended one of these events, I would love to see the pictures you took. :D Share the madness!!

Seeing all of these dresses just gives me more ideas for the future. I know my Christmas list has quite a few patterns listed from here!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Dickens on the Strand - Galveston TX

Postby MaryGode » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:11 am

I hope your Christmas list is fullfilled! Image I love getting a new pattern and just imagining for a while.

What else did you sew to get to where you felt confident to attempt Victorian fashion?
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 am

Welcome DragonFox! I'm glad you caught the Victorian bug like the rest of us! It's great fun!

I know what you mean about patterns. My birthday is in a few days, and when my mom asked what I wanted, before she even finished the question, I said "patterns!" And for Christmas? No, not more patterns, but close. They're all Victorian books, some of which contain patterns. You can tell I'm not obsessed AT ALL. :lol:
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:39 am

I've only been to the Galveston festival once, but it was great! Do they still have the costume competition? One of the ladies I went with won for her costume for her husband and another won for her Miss Havisham costume. What's the island like after the storms? There were so many well preserved buildings before the hurricanes; we all hoped they were repairable.
DragonFox
Window Shopper

Postby DragonFox » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:44 pm

This was my third time ever going to Dickens, but first time in a true Victorian costume. They have done a lot of work to rebuild after the storms, and in my opinion it is just now back to where it should be. There were more people at the festival this year than last year, and that is a good sign. They do still have the costume contest, but I was not aware of it until after it had started... so I am planning on that for next year. I still have a few things I want to do/adjust to my dress now that I have been able to wear it out once. I also need to learn how to do something sort of decent looking with my hair (and yes that book is on my Christmas list too).

My background in sewing has been a lot of renaissance costumes, but not corsets (I have been buying those). I had not touched my machine in a few years, so I started with a ton of old costume repairs and random underthings to make sure I could work my machine in a way to get it to do what I wanted. My sweetheart just got me an embroidery machine for Christmas, so I will be adding that to my list of things to learn. :D

I just know I will have a blast making these dresses... and I have been getting super excited about them. These patterns and instructions are MUCH easier to understand and follow than I expected. I live near a few really good warehouse fabric stores as well, so I can get my hands on some nice finds occasionally. I love to see what all of you create, and will be adding my pictures to the albums soon.

Return to “Meet and Greet”