Dave Smith starts a 'New Old trade'

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
David H Smith
Costume Afflicted

Dave Smith starts a 'New Old trade'

Postby David H Smith » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi everyone, I am a newcomer to T/V. My wife [Susan,Aka smt22] started me off tailoring, with a 'Laughing Moon' waistcoat. It was not long before I wanted to try to make my own frock coat to accompany her to various events. I think I am really hooked to the hobby now, and infact draughted my own wedding coat, that I scaled up from the 1815 pattern in the book 'Evolution of Fashion'. Being a pianoforte tuner/technician for the last 35years,I am very interested in ancient crafts, and it is fulfilling for me to embrace another age old trade such as tailoring. I am aware that I seem to be one of the few male members of the board, but hope this will not go against me!lol. Looking forward to sharing some of my projects, once I get the gallery to work, and persuade some of those reluctant husbands what fun the whole Victorian thing is.
Regards David :lol:
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Dave Smith starts a 'New Old trade'

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 pm

Welcome aboard! I am so incredibly jealous of Susan. What a great way to bond with your spouse!
I recently finished a LM Frock Coat. Not that I am impressed with the work I did, but I was learning while doing it and I would love to see and learn how from someone who knows. :) I look forward to seeing your projects. Might get inspired to make something for my husband.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Welcome. I wish my husband enjoyed Victorian as much as he likes Medieval. =)
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome to the board Dave! There really is something wonderful about making your own clothes. Folks just can't believe you did it.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 pm

If you are into making your own patterns and such, I have the book for you. "Men's Garments 1830-1900" by R. I. Davis. It is detailed instructions for drafting custom patterns based on your measurements. I have a friend who makes a lot of his own clothing, and he finally gave this book a try. He was amazed with how wonderful everything came out.
David H Smith
Costume Afflicted

Postby David H Smith » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 am

Miss Cindy wrote:Welcome aboard! I am so incredibly jealous of Susan. What a great way to bond with your spouse!
I recently finished a LM Frock Coat. Not that I am impressed with the work I did, but I was learning while doing it and I would love to see and learn how from someone who knows. :) I look forward to seeing your projects. Might get inspired to make something for my husband.

Yes Cindy, I made the LM 'prince Albert' coats too! Interesting variation to the pattern was that we English guys 'across the pond', seemed to have favoured flapped pockets on the outside of the coat either side. Also the waistline seems to be more drawn in on ours giving more flair to the tails. Great patterns to work from though. :D
David H Smith
Costume Afflicted

Postby David H Smith » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:37 am

Heather wrote:If you are into making your own patterns and such, I have the book for you. "Men's Garments 1830-1900" by R. I. Davis. It is detailed instructions for drafting custom patterns based on your measurements. I have a friend who makes a lot of his own clothing, and he finally gave this book a try. He was amazed with how wonderful everything came out.

Thanks Heather, I'll check that book out, so far I have been 'learning by my mistakes' so to speak.
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:22 am

Hello David & Sue.
Cathi & David from France & Llandrindod Wells.

Return to “Meet and Greet”