Newbie here!

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Newbie here!

Postby Jadeclover » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 am

Greetings from Upstate NY! I've been trolling this site for a couple of years now, but I wasn't QUITE confident in my sewing skills to try something so involved. But here I am! :D I have patterns on the way and I can't wait to get started. I might need some advice in the near future so please, be kind!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Newbie here!

Postby MaryGode » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Image Welcome!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Postby Jadeclover » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks! I received my patterns in the mail yesterday (all eight of them!!) I'm making complete costumes for three friends and myself for a convention in Virginia we are going to the first weekend of November. A little bit of a late start but I think I can pull it off...maybe :shock:
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 am

You can do it! Last year I did thirteen outfits for our heritage event between August and October. Can your friends help out? I love a good sewing bee, and anybody can be taught to cover and sew on buttons, for instance.

My older daughter is very proud of the five yards of ruffle she edge finished and gathered for me to use on the bottom of her natural form dress. ( :mrgreen: <---Daughter's face )
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Postby loretta t » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:41 pm

You can do it, remember to eat an elephant you just do it one bite at a time.
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Postby Jadeclover » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 am

unfortunately I don't have any friends that are great sewers. And those who are general sewers are still at school. But I am doing it one step at a time...wishing I could skip five or six but trying to be patient.

The convention is now three days away and I haven't started my dress! :shock:

I made the three other outfits (pants, shirts, vests, and frock coats) and did all my undergarments (chemise, corset, bustle, petticoat) but I have not started the dress. I really wanted to do a pleated confection, much like one here posted in the show and tell page. Buuuuuut my brother, who was suppose to order me a pleater from Clothide (because as OBSESSIVELY as I have been searching Ebay I have not found the Simplicity Plaiter), didn't do so until last week. It's not due to arrive until Friday when I will already be in Virginia. :bang:

So, I made my own. Stayed up until three thirty this morning making it and here I am back up and ready to start cutting out my pattern.

I'm exhausted, but I'm also very excited to get it done!

Sorry for the rant :oops: But it is nice to know that there have been other people in my shoes, good motivation!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 am

You can do it! 8) My best advice is to take a five or ten minute break every hour or so, sip some coffee or whatever. It really helps me to stay focused and not make time-wasting mistakes when I'm working with a fast approaching deadline.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:15 am

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well and look beautiful.
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Postby Jadeclover » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks ladies!
it is now 2:40 in the afternoon on Tuesday and I am FINALLY cutting out my fabric. my dress needs to be complete by tomorrow at eleven pm when I jump in the car for Virginia. Did I mention I've never used TV patterns before? Or sewn a Victorian dress? I have help from my mother who is very excited to be sewing buttons (that is the very limit of her sewing experience).
OH BOY
Wish me luck! and with some I'll post some pictures :D
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:58 am

We're here, cheering you on!
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Postby Jadeclover » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:44 pm

well i didn't quite make my deadline. I ended up staying awake until four thirty in the morning then climbed in my car WITH my sewing machine and drove the nine hours to virginia beach. Here i sit in my suite attemping to sew on the tiny table. Its interesting but i'm almost done! pictures soon to follow.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:33 pm

Good Luck, know it will turn out great.

Return to “Meet and Greet”