Newcomer from up North

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
MissieCat
Window Shopper

Newcomer from up North

Postby MissieCat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:39 pm

Hello,

I've been lurking around these boards for the last week or so, so I thought it's time I finally registered and introduce myself. My name is Catherine and I currently live in the middle of nowhere in the north of the province of Quebec, in Canada. I'm a librarian, and, up until now, have mostly been collecting antique victorian clothing. but... I can never wear those, because they're too small or too fragile. So, now I found the truly victorian patterns and will try to make my own (despite the fact that I live too far to have any event to wear them to lol...) I really am a newbie at sewing. I learned basics from my mom and home economics class, but I have very little pratice, so I'll probably be asking quite a lot of questions! I'm really looking forward to starting my first dress...

MissieCat
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Newcomer from up North

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am

Dear MissieCat,
Welcome aboard! This is the best place to go for Victorian dresses.
TV patterns are incredibly easy to work with and logical and beautiful. Jump in and enjoy. I still feel like a newbie at sewing, tho' I have been working on it for a few years. Heather's patterns will help easy that fear factor. And Heather is such a wonderful help!
Looking forward to seeing your creations.
And if it helps you any, I live where there are no Victorian activities, but it has not stopped me from enjoying these wonderful dresses. :)
Sincerely,
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:13 am

Something I've sometimes thought about for a small town event might be a combined Victorian dress/Sherlock Holmes Fan get together. Since a lot of Sherlock Holmes was set in the 1890s, if you get those fans to dress up plus a few Victorian clothing fans and well maybe you could get enough together for a Victorian tea or small dinner party...or at least tea for two? :D
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:20 am

Drag in a few Amelia Peabody fans too, so long as they and the S H fans agree to play nicely together (after all S H is referenced in several A P books).
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 am

The librarian at my kids' kindergarden center had an astonishing collection of costumes to use in her time with the children. Declare a day-/week-/month-long program in the interest of Victorian era literature and wear your dresses to work!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
MissieCat
Window Shopper

Postby MissieCat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 am

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. A Sherlock Holmes night might be interresting, especially at Halloween. Or even just a costumed events with a litterary theme. I will certainly think about it very seriously! It's hard to have people participating around here, but this just might work.
AmandaDC3
Window Shopper

Postby AmandaDC3 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:20 am

How about dressing up for literary birthdays? Lucy Maud Montgomery's birthday; Louisa May Alcott's; Laura Ingalls Wilder's; Caddie Woodlawn's; etc...

:: smacks forehead ::
How could I forget Beatrix Potter?!!

Return to “Meet and Greet”