I suppose i should introduce myself

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

I suppose i should introduce myself

Postby SarahMiller42 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Now that I've run all over the board and asked for help, I think I should actually get around to introducing myself. (Backwards, I know but I'm like that.)

I'm Sarah and I live in the beautiful Willamette Valley, actually in the heart of the Yamhill County Wine Country. I've always loved the Victorian time period. Gone With the Wind was my favorite movie growing up. I've always wanted a full hooped ball gown. (But my husband hates the frilly Victorian stuff and the hoop skirts gets him ranting big time so that will have to wait.)

About 10 years ago, the husband and I joined the SCA so I've been making Medieval recreation outfits for us both ever since.

So how do I go from T-Tunics and Coathardies to Bustle dresses, you ask. Well since we're both potters with European Historical inspiration, we're always looking for venues to sell at where that style is appreciated, the modern Art world is more Asian influenced- don't get me started, so when the County Historical society had a holiday sale we signed right up to vend. Some of the ladies from the Historical society were dressed in the bustle dresses they made for various events and I asked where they got the patterns and they recommended this site. So I sent in my application and decided to make a bustle dress or two incase I had need of them. I will find some reason to wear them, even if it is to pose for pictures and or paintings for other members or an art group I belong to.
diana
Master Gabber

Re: I suppose i should introduce myself

Postby diana » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

If your husband only rants about hoop skirts, a bustle dress should appease him! No hoops to try to get around. And if you stay in the mid-late 1880s day dresses, no trains either!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 pm

He rolls his eyes at all of it but doesn't stop me from making what I want to.=) He just thinks all of it is unnessisarily complicated and unpractical but if it makes me happy . . . =)
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Haha, Sarah... my bf feels the same way. He thinks I'm a little silly and perhaps irrational for wanting to truss myself up in steel and ruffles, but he keeps his mouth shut because he knows I love it. I think he's secretly proud of me - he loves it when I make [modern] things for him, and he tells his friends that I'm a good seamstress. Really, I'm no more than acceptable, but it gives me warm fuzzies. I'm sure your hubby thinks the same :)
:fence:

Return to “Meet and Greet”