Hello from St. Louis

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Hello from St. Louis

Postby Andrea L » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi, I'm new to the board and new to sewing (Well, machine sewing. I'm no stranger to a needle since I've been holding one and cross stitching since I was eight or nine, and I'm in my mid twenties now. Sewing was just a way to do needle work that was semi practical). I've only been using a sewing machine since July, and after having my stint with making kimono, I decided to cross off another project off my sewing list: a corset. Not one here, but a Simplicity one. Of course, corsets lead to period clothing, and I came across this site. I've fallen in love with Victorian clothing and really just want to buy all these patterns...but I'll refrain.

So I just wanted to say hi, and I hope I can learn a lot (and maybe share my limited knowledge) with all of you.

Andrea
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Re: Hello from St. Louis

Postby Bookwyrm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello and welcome. I'm also in my mid-twenties, and I also embroider (though I'm coming to embroidery as a function of period clothing, rather than the other way around).

If you're on Livejournal, you might want to check out the community Corsetmakers. There's a great deal of information there about the various Simplicity corsets and their pitfalls - for starters, they're usually sized enormously, so cut two sizes down from what the envelope says you should.

Return to “Meet and Greet”