Greetings from Vänersborg

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Greetings from Vänersborg

Postby Soundbrigade » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:22 pm

I registered here 78+ years ago, but it wasn't until today I finally signed in.
I have been sewing corsets for 9 years and dresses yet another 6 years before that.
I am 56 yo, living in W Sweden with Natasha, my wife since 1995.
Also I am building tube amplifier and loudspeakers, and this hobby has sort of taken too much energy from my sewing, but I am just about to have a new start, and even try to get beyond the use of readymade patterns and try to sew non-standard designed corsets.
I hope I can share my ideas with you especially as I have a rather pragmatic way of looking at problems.
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Welcome aboard!
I must say, I laughed while reading your message.
Amps and loudspeakers seem so distant from making corsets and dresses. :D
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! It is always good to have more ideas from different perspectives.
Sincerely,
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 am

Well, don't laugh to much!! :wink: Amplifiers and Corsets have a lot in common, at least för me.
First of all it is great fun keeping my hands occupied soldering an amplifier together or sewing a corset. While doing so, I can see the result in front of me; I know this will become something VERY spectacular.
Second, my ampliers are constructed not only to sing sweet melodies but also looking attractive or original. That's the idea with my corsets, at least now a days. I try to find un-typical fabrics and models that gives the corsets an un-corsetty look.
And thirdly, I love the look/sound of (well built) tube amplifiers and I love the look of a (well construted) corset.

I am member in a forum for generel sewing here in Sweden and a gothic forum (you know that youngsters kind of stuff), but one is rather passive and the other very naïve, so I felt strongly I had to find a more serious place as I will spend some time with corset construction.
Magnus

LenaWidmark
Window Shopper

Re: Greetings from Vänersborg

Postby LenaWidmark » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Well isn't it a small world! :D
Imagine finding someone from the same small town in Sweden on a forum about Victorian sewing! :D

Did you use to hold classes in corset making? Always hate that I missed the chance to take that course.
Hope both your sewing and amp-building is going well :lol:

Mvh
Lena
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 am

Yepp and Nope. It's a small world when meeting people at the most peculiar places but it's a big world when travelling to and fro Chicago (where our daughter and granddaughter lives).

First I have to explain that in the beginning of my corset as well as tube career, I as really active but to serious heart failures sort of sucked out all my energy and today it is hard start a new project, even harder to continue and almost impossible to finish. I feel something was taken from me the minutes I spent lifeless at home 5 years ago. :roll:

I didn't mean to sound to depressed; after all we have just begun a new year with loads of possibilities.

One possibility that isn't around much more is the corset classes or circles as I call them. I felt I learned as much as the people attending the events :D . Fore several years we had those classes/circles in Vänersborg together with an evening school but as fewer and fewer joined the classes we decided to call it a day. Also at the big sewing summit in Jönköping together with Husqvarna/Viking I had a class for three years but due to lacking interest that is also history.

Guess we are a small gang of enthusiast that try to keep a great hobby alive, residing on our heap of corset patterns (I ordered four new ones this Xmas). Eventually something happens that bring more people to our herd - a new movie, a new subcult or a new Spring fashion.

However if you want to have chat about corsets and corsetmaking, you are free to get in touch with me. The alias, Soundbrigade is from a time when I planned to import electronic stuff from Russia, but in real life my name is Magnus Kesselmark. :wink:
Magnus

LenaWidmark
Window Shopper

Postby LenaWidmark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 am

I'm very sorry to hear about your heart problems Magnus.
I would love to get in touch, I talked the ear of the new owner of Birgits stuv the other day discussing materials for corsets. :D
I'm currently looking for the best place to buy supplies here in Sweden, been looking at Röda tråden are there any other stores? Let's just say I have a ton of questions and a mentor would be very much appreciated!
I suffer from a bit of telephone phobia and you email address here returned my mail.
Also found no email contact on you blogg (I totally agree with you about Metro by the way...)
My email is my "firstname"."lastname"@gmail.com (substitue for my name!) if you wouldn't mind getting in touch that way?

Vänliga hälsningar!
Lena
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:49 pm

Try korsetter(krumelur)pastisch(punkt)se.

Unfortunately there's no one in Sweden with a full supply of corset stuff. I buy all my material at Vena Cava Design in England. Good supply of everything, fast delivery and good service.
If you need some advice or missing material I may help. Besides the people in here are all experts. 8)
Magnus

Return to “Meet and Greet”