Hello from another newbie!

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
windrose
Window Shopper

Hello from another newbie!

Postby windrose » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi, y'all. :)

I never know what to say in these introductory posts, so I'll just dive in. My name is Sue, I'm 40, and I'm just now getting around to learning how to sew. It's self defense, really. I'm a great big history geek who volunteers as an assistant curator at the local natural & cultural history museum. As much as I love collecting vintage clothing, I can't afford the *really* high quality pieces, and I haven't been all that impressed with a lot of what's available commercially in terms of reproduction clothing: too many shortcuts in construction, wrong fabric, plastic buttons, etc etc. Figured the best way to get truly accurate reproduction clothing was to make it myself.

It's daunting, as I really am starting with zero experience. I also have fibromyalgia, which means I can't sit upright at a sewing machine for very long without putting myself in a world of hurt. I've started with the Natural Form combination undies, and I'm taking them very s-l-o-w-l-y, just doing a little at a time. Figure that's a good place to start, get used to working with a sewing machine and all. At this rate, it'll probably be Fall by the time I'm done with the things, but hey. I'm in no rush. *g*

One other thing. We have a dress in our textile collection at work that I'm trying to date. It has no provenience whatsoever, just the name of the person who donated it back in the 1950s. I *think* it may be an Artistic Movement tea gown, but I'm not sure. Is there someplace I can post pictures so y'all can maybe take a gander at it, & tell me what you think? I'd really like to be able to make label copy for it that says more than "Late Victorian Tea Gown." *wry grin*
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:39 am

Dear Miss Windrose,
Welcome to TV! It is good to get to know you.
I would suspect that you could do a post of the dress in the "Look what I just found" or "What do you think" forums and I am sure many will help you narrow down a date on your dress. :) Some of the folks here are great at such things.
You made me curious to at least see the dress, so please do post pictures.
Sincerely,
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
windrose
Window Shopper

Postby windrose » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 am

Thank you, Miss Cindy. I will go post a link to the pictures I took at work and see what y'all make of it. :)

Miss Cindy wrote:Dear Miss Windrose,
Welcome to TV! It is good to get to know you.
I would suspect that you could do a post of the dress in the "Look what I just found" or "What do you think" forums and I am sure many will help you narrow down a date on your dress. :) Some of the folks here are great at such things.
You made me curious to at least see the dress, so please do post pictures.
Sincerely,
Miss Cindy
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Just a thought - If you get quick at handsewing (and not everyone has the temperment for handsewing, so you may not) it's definitely something you can do sitting not-upright, as long as you're careful. The biggest things are plenty of light and plenty of light. That might help with sewing - you can do the big long straight things on a machine, which only makes sense, but sew things like hems by hand, where it'll take a bit more time but look very good and you don't have to use a machine.
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:55 am

hi windrose,

welcome to the board! :-)

Just to let you know you're not on your own as i also suffer from fibromyalgia (brought on by arthritis). Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours as i can manage to sit for hours on end at a sewing machine. ( i work as a seamstress at a dry cleaners) I mainly suffer at my hips and across my chest, so sitting doesn't affect me. All i can say is keep trying, how wonderful you feel when you're dressed up in all the wonderful outfits you make will go a long way to make up for it :-)

Julie
windrose
Window Shopper

Postby windrose » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:34 am

Bookwrym: I've done cross-stitch for years, so I'm well accustomed to using a needle and thread, I've just never tried to make a whole outfit like that.

I have a beautiful WW1-era tea dress in my collection that's covered in gorgeous Arts & Crafts-style cross-stitch. I quite look forward to being able to make my own clothing and then decorating them by hand. :)

Julievictorian: Fibrocrud is the suck. I have it pretty much all over, plus I have arthritis in my lower back, brought on by two herniated discs. Humidity makes it worse, so living in Florida is Not Good. I plan to move to a drier climate where hopefully I'll be able to get some mobility back.

And yes, dressing up in pretty Victorian things makes you feel fantastic. I have a vintage wrapper from the 1870s that I just picked up, and I'm looking forward to sewing the underpinnings to go with it. Will be sure to post pictures when it's all finished. :D

Return to “Meet and Greet”