Belle Alley hacked??

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Belle Alley hacked??

Postby faerenach » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 am

I've just started posting over on Belle Alley, and when I went over there today to see what was new, I got a big black screen with "HACKED BY ABO_NASSER".

Anyone know anything about this???
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:59 am

I just saw that too! Scared the crap out of me! I was on the Alley last night around 10:30 (EST), and it was fine. Ack!
:fence:
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:11 am

OMG, how can people be so rude? That stinks. Hopefully their forum service provider will be able to assist

People like that make me want to do not nice things in return :twisted:
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
bethHSH
Costume Afflicted

Postby bethHSH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 am

Don't fret girls!!! I spoke to Catawba Kate and Tornado Ali has already alerted Hugh Damwright to the problem and he is fastidiously working on it right now. The last time something like this happened it took the better part of a day to fix it, so hang in there! Lady LaSalle
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:42 am

Good to hear it Lady LaSalle :) I hope there hasnt been too much damage to the site, its a fantastic one!

Tiffers
faerenach
Costume Afflicted

Postby faerenach » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Whew, it's back up! Glad there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage!

*edited*
Oh wait... not any more. This sucks.
Lady Fleur
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lady Fleur » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

this has happend before BUT hugh is on it and they kick trolls backsides!!
Hey most of us are gun toteing sass members!!
http://www.thehistoricalhairdresser.com
bethHSH
Costume Afflicted

Postby bethHSH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Ok, we need to put a hit out on this guy! Let's get a posse rounded up and go get him!
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Doh!! It's back down again! So annoying!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:58 am

And its down again :(

I do really feel for the admin behind the alley, they are having a tough time of it at the moment!

Tiffers
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:55 am

Argh! Hacked again! What gives?
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:58 am

I know! This is terrible. Poor Hugh. I'm about to ask my husband if he can give him some tips.
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
mentha
Costume Afflicted

Postby mentha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:28 am

The problem lies in the security of the website. Apparently there's a gap in the security, which keeps getting breached by the hacker's robot. It's probably a script the hacker wrote, that searches and finds a specific piece of code/text in websites and uses that piece of code/text to replace content on the attacked website. This means, that you can keep re-replacing it with your original files, but the piece of coding that's being used for the hacking will be put back with that again and again, and thus the hacker's script will continue attacking it.

Now if the webmaster is afraid of having lost the current forum: that's all in a database, which has not been touched by the hacker, so the information in the forum itself will most likely not be harmed. There is a chance however that other pages in the site have been lost, but with some luck, the webmaster has the original files on his/her own computer, so that's probably not much of a problem either.

Solution: get a new and more secure website. Yes, that will take some time, especially getting everything back up an running, but I fear it's the only solution. Sorry...

Cheers, Mentha (professional web-nerd)
And from the earth spray the weak herb that bears her name. (Mentha) Oppian, Halieutica 3.485
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:33 am

Mentha~
That's exactly what my husband told me!!

His advice was a little different. He said it was possible to just get an updated version of the bulletin board to plug the hole.

You guys are so smart!!
mentha
Costume Afflicted

Postby mentha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:01 pm

That's sort of what I meant, just couldn't find the right words at that moment... ;) Also I was trying to put it into lay-mans terms (I'm prone to switch into shop-talk-mode, often leaving conversational partners with very, very confused looks on their faces ;))
And from the earth spray the weak herb that bears her name. (Mentha) Oppian, Halieutica 3.485
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Mentha~ Sometimes when I ask my husband computer-y things, he knows I'll never understand it and just says, "It's magic!"
mentha
Costume Afflicted

Postby mentha » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Hmm, maybe I'll try that with my boyfriend next time. He'll come sit next to me and ask what I'm doing, and I'll start explaining the ins and outs of webdesign and how databases work and what script languages I'm using and I'll just see him fade away into a big black world of nothing. Total blank on his face, poor thing ;) Then again, when he starts telling me about structural engineering, I'll be the one with a blank... ;)
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 am

My brother and I are like that :) He has a degree in photo technology and optics, and while I understand the basics, the hard stuff loses me. My degree is marine and freshwater biology, and as soon as I start talking morphology, fluid dynamics, or nutrients, he's lost. So we agree that each person has a degree in big, confusing words, and that's the end of it :)
:fence:

Return to “Meet and Greet”