Where to go for sewing supplies in London?

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Where to go for sewing supplies in London?

Postby smt22 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:29 am

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to London from New Zealand, to stay for two years! I can't believe I'm really here - England is amazing, and so different from home.

There are several events and things I want to go to while I'm here, but sadly I had to leave all my costumes at home as there was no way they would fit into my 20kg baggage allowance...which means (darn it) I'm going to have to make something new!

Can anyone tell me where to look for fabric, patterns and other sewing supplies in London? Are there any fabric chain stores or anything like that? I have no idea where to look. I don't want expensive designer stuff, just your regular, everyday sewing store. I'm also really keen to do some thrift shopping in London, but again, don't know where to start. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Susan
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:13 am

Hello and welcome to the UK!
For fabric shops in London I would recomend going to Goldhawk road (on Hammersmith and City Tube line) there are a whole load of small fabric shops along the road and it tends to be cheeper than the bigger stores in the centre of London. I will ask a friend of mine who lives in London if she has any other recomendations too. Hopfully we may bump into each other at some point while you are over here.
Prudentia, Celeritas, Audatia, Fortitudo
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:26 am

My friend in London sent me this as regards her favourite places to shop for fabric and trimmings...

Hi my dear.

Goldhawk Road is my favourite place for fabrics. (I tend to frequent
Classic Textiles and A-One).
Other than that: John Lewis/Peter Jones for thread and notions;
Barnet Lawson (16-17 Little Portland Street near Oxford Circus;
http://www.bltrimmings.com/) and Klein's (5 Noel Street in Soho;
http://www.kleins.co.uk/) for trimmings and other supplies; and
MacCulloch and Wallace at 25-26 Dering Street for things you can't find
anywhere else (they're fairly expensive but work well as a
shop-of-last-resort.)

Conveniently, all these shops (apart from the Goldhawk Road ones
obviously) are clustered around Oxford Circus, so it's possible to hit
several in one day.

Hope this helps!
Prudentia, Celeritas, Audatia, Fortitudo
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Thank you Wyte Phantom - I will make my way there asap! I hope we can meet up somewhere along the way.
~S
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
1880lady
Inquiring Mind

Postby 1880lady » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi,

Hope I'm not too late to help!
People have already mentioned Goldhawk Rd, but here are some others you may like:

I love going to Regent Home of Sewing (http://www.homeofsewing.co.uk) at 4-6 Chapel Rd in Ilford as well as Peter Jones in Sloane Square.

One really great place is Borovick's (http://www.borovickfabricsltd.co.uk), at 16 Berwick St. They have historical reproduction fabrics. Taking the Picadilly line is easiest for me, but I imagine as it's in Soho, there are many ways of getting there.

You may also want to try MacCulloch & Wallis (http://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk) at 25-26 Dering St for loads of supplies and Bennison Fabrics (http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1126/9413.php), 16 Holbein Place, which I visit a lot as it's closest to me in Chelsea.

Happy shopping and welcome to London! :D
Wholly jo
Window Shopper

Southall

Postby Wholly jo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:30 am

i am just going to have to take you to southall as soon as i am better
Joanne
redncurlybell
Costume Afflicted

Re: Where to go for sewing supplies in London?

Postby redncurlybell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello Ladies!

I have been a long time friend of Truly Victorian, and well am glad to say I am in the land of Victoria now, London! I saw the post regarding where to buy sewing supplies, and was delighted to see your posts! Do any of you know of gatherings to wear your garments? I do not have any of my period clothing with me, for I too had to leave them in the US due to the fact I could not fit it in my luggage. I also have the unfortunate situation where I cannot use a sewing machine, for I live in a Studio flat with my hubby. We call it our little 'box'. So I will be trying some projects by hand. Yes, the old fashioned way of sewing.... by hand. Sure the victorians had sewing machines, however, I am one of the poor ones. LOL...

Anyhow I would love to meet up with some of the ladies here, and perhaps go to a few events. Oh yes, and the main reason for this post.... THANK YOU FOR POSTING ALL THE GREAT PLACES!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Miss Tiffiny
(now Mrs. Fakahau)
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 am

If you can use an electric sewing machine because of the noise, consider picking up an old hand cranked sewing machine.

Welcome to the UK :)

Tiffers
redncurlybell
Costume Afflicted

Postby redncurlybell » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:48 am

Tiffers wrote:If you can use an electric sewing machine because of the noise, consider picking up an old hand cranked sewing machine.

Welcome to the UK :)

Tiffers

Hi Tiffers!!

I had to do a double take, for I sign myself as Tiffers in my emails also (but usually with personal emails) LOL... I love it! Anyhow, Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will keep that in mind, for I would just love to have one on hand anyhow... but alas that is not the reason. However, a great reason at that! You see our flat is VERY TINY or "Cozy" as we call it. LOL. (It is about a 10'x10' room). We are currently looking for a larger one, however we can barely move, so handsewing is my only option at the moment. I just see it as an opportunity to exerience a bit of history really. :)

Anyhow, thank you so much for the suggestion. Looking forward to more talks!

Sincerely,

Miss Tiffiny
aka Tiffers :wink:
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:23 am

Per places to go in your kit, the big UK Steampunk convival is coming up in Lincoln in September. And there are lots of other steampunk events for sure. .
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com

Return to “Meet and Greet”