Hello from MO!

Find others with shared interests, events in your area or just gab with new friends
Novice seamripper
Window Shopper

Hello from MO!

Postby Novice seamripper » Wed May 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Hello Truly Victorian!

I'm a long-time lurker who finally got her own sewing machine and the space to use it in! It's been several years since I've actually sewed something, so 'over-ambitious seamripper' might have been a better username. :lol: I know I'll have questions about fabrics, definitions ('en couer' and 'carcou' come to mind right off), and hardware.

I know the boards aren't as active as they once were, but this site is still a great resource for facts, fixes, methods, and inspiration!
Jean
Window Shopper

Re: Hello from MO!

Postby Jean » Mon May 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Good afternoon, I'm in Missouri as well!

Where do you plan to wear your lovely 1870's dresses?

Thanks, Jean
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Postby Laura » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Novice seamripper wrote:Hello Truly Victorian!

I'm a long-time lurker who finally got her own sewing machine and the space to use it in! It's been several years since I've actually sewed something, so 'over-ambitious seamripper' might have been a better username. :lol:...

Love the name novice seamripper! I fear I myself am no longer a novice when it comes to seam-ripping, I have gotten rather good at it over the years.

Welcome to Truly victorian. I am mostly a lurker on this site, as well, but as I am family, I would like to spend more time here. So ask away any questions you like. With hope Heather, others, or myself can answer them.

Enjoy sewing.
Laura
Laura
Truly Victorian Honorary Team Member
Novice seamripper
Window Shopper

Postby Novice seamripper » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Jean wrote:Good afternoon, I'm in Missouri as well!

Where do you plan to wear your lovely 1870's dresses?

Thanks, Jean

Another from Missouri! I'm in North/Central, so besides from a couple of Cemetery Walks a couple local historical societies put on, Halloween is about the only socially acceptable 'event' I currently know of to wear them! There are some open-to-the-public Victorian mansions, like the Vaile Mansion, that I'd like to visit - even better if I could go in style! :lol:

Thank you Laura! We had to use the seam rippers so much in Home Economics our teacher gave us each our own for Christmas! It 'seamed' fitting for a learning experience!

...am I banned from the boards yet? :P

Seeing how you guys gave advice and answered questions, even simple ones from newbies, made me finally brave enough to attempt something complicated and beautiful! We'll see how it goes :D
Jean
Window Shopper

Postby Jean » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:15 am

SeamRipper, I'm in South Central, and would create more opportunities but am still working for a living.

Our local Historical Society has an annual Ice Cream Social and Birthday Party for our town's founder. Sometimes I wear living history clothing and ya'll are certainly welcome to join us.

I'll add it to the Event thread, just as an opportunity?

Thanks, Jean
Novice seamripper
Window Shopper

Postby Novice seamripper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:59 pm

Thank you Jean! I hear you :) Need a job to afford the fun stuff, need the time the job eats up to DO the fun stuff. Even if I couldn't make it this year (due to work), it's ALWAYS great to find places I could wear my projects!

Return to “Meet and Greet”