August Overskirt problems

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
juliecmcgee
Window Shopper

August Overskirt problems

Postby juliecmcgee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this thing??
I have so much extra fabric at the front over the pelvis area, what can I do to make this lay right? I have already taken in the front seams about 3" each, and it doesn't seem to be helping.
For reference, this is the TV365 August overskirt, and i have it over the TV101 bustle (without overlay) and one TV261 underskirt. All is in a pretty light cotton sateen.
Attachments
IMG_5104 (2) (480x640).jpg
IMG_5104 (2) (480x640).jpg (156.26 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
IMG_5102 (2) (480x640).jpg
IMG_5102 (2) (480x640).jpg (182.02 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Heather
Site Admin

Re: August Overskirt problems

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 am

Yeah, taking in the front seams at the top would make the problem worse. I would let those seams back out, to get back to flatter front. If you need to take in the front section to fit over larger hips, put in a dart or pleat at the sides, rather than in the front panel. If you don't need to adjust for larger hips, then don't do anything, and let the side seams go to the back father.

Part of the issue, is that you have a very crisp fabric. Just smooth it downwards with your hands and make lay flat. Ease out the bottom tie strings so it isn't pulling in at you knees quite so much, and let the apron swag a bit lower, instead of bunching up like that. Also, add a petticoat or two under you skirt; it will help hold out the skirts and keep them from pulling in too tight at the knees.
juliecmcgee
Window Shopper

Postby juliecmcgee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks Heather!
I was going to make another underskirt in that same blue color because I am not sure which would look better blue or black. Would that count as a petticoat? Do you think adding the ruffle overlay to the top of the bustle would help? I will try letting out again to see how it looks with the correct undergarments. Its funny I thought my fabric was too floppy - it is quilting backing, almost exactly like a bed sheet. I thought something like a taffeta would hold a better shape. Also, not sure if it matters, I have the whole back piece lined in the optional tutu type netting.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Yes, a second skirt could easily be used as a petticoat. I would highly recommend an actual petticoat at some time in your future. They are wonderful, and you will wear it with pretty much every dress you ever make. So having a couple on hand is a huge benefit. Then you can mix-match them as needed to get the fullness/support that you want with different dresses.

The netting in the back if fine. And it will make your back nice a poufy. That shouldn't effect the front in any way. Don't use netting in the front, though, as you want swags to actually swag. I tend to no even flatline the aprons, as they can get too much body and not sag at all. There is such a thing as too much sag, when you have super drapey fabrics. Usually fabrics like cottons, linnens, taffeta, dupioni, etc, are just right as they are. Just run your palm down the center front and pull it all downwards to smooth it a bit.

Return to “Does this fit right?”