Best way to adjust Late Bustle skirts for large hips

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
sunndoesntknow
Window Shopper

Best way to adjust Late Bustle skirts for large hips

Postby sunndoesntknow » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Before I trace my pattern pieces or cut a mockup, I wanted to ask how best to alter my petticoats, bustle, and skirt pieces for larger hips. My hip measurement is 62" at the widest, so I need to add approximately 6" to all of my garments. I'm using TV120 petticoats, TV163 tournure in regular size, TV261 underskirt, and TV382 Asymmetrical Drapery add-on. I'm most worried about the bustle and underskirt, since those are the most fitted from waist to hips. My corseted waist measurement is 42", so should I add width to the side seams and adjust the darts to fit my waist? Or is there another way for me to add width without sacrificing the appropriate shape? I appreciate any help you can provide!

Thanks in advance~
Susanna
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Best way to adjust Late Bustle skirts for large hips

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 pm

I think the best way to go would be to size out the skirts the 6" needed for the hips, and then take in the darts and/or the seams above the hip to fit the waist. That translates into 3 sizes for A-N sized patterns. Using the existing sizes lines as a guide, add 3 more lines to size out to your size.
sunndoesntknow
Window Shopper

Postby sunndoesntknow » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Heather. Does this also apply for the bustle pattern as well?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:49 pm

For the bustle, I would just go with the largest size back as is, so you don't have the change the wire lengths. You may want to make the side panels larger, though it really doesn't have to meet at the center front. And you might want to make the inner back panel wider if it looks like it will be too narrow for you.
sunndoesntknow
Window Shopper

Postby sunndoesntknow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:58 pm

I'm finally getting around to tracing my skirt pattern and it occurs to me that the back panel is "full width", but my fabric is 56" wide. Can I just adjust the back panel to be the full width of my 56" wide fabric, especially since most of my hip width is in the booty. :wink:

ETA: I should also mention that I'm making the version with the bustling/poufs.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:42 am

Yes, if you have 56" then use it!

Return to “Does this fit right?”