TV466 Alexandra Bodice Fitting Question

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Keireina
Window Shopper

TV466 Alexandra Bodice Fitting Question

Postby Keireina » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Alright. I'm scared. I've never made a bodice before and I have a feeling a picked a tricky one. I feel like I haven't picked the right pieces and if I have I don't know where to begin.

Here are my measurements and then the associating pattern pieces. I haven't made a mock up yet because I don't want to waste fabric. Does this sound right?

Back Width: 13"
Back length: 18"
Bust: 41"
Hip: 44"
Armhole: 23"
Adjusted Front: 24"

Back, Side Back, Side, Back Facing and Side Back Facing I have "C"
Front, Vest, Shawl Collar and Collar I have "I"
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV466 Alexandra Bodice Fitting Question

Postby Heather » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Well, I don't want to say anything is wrong with your measurements, but they are not very average. If you are very long bodied/tall, and very narrow in the shoulder then they may be just fine. If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to take a look at our blog pages for taking measurements. http://www.trulyvictorian.net/blog1/blog2.php/patterns-1/taking-your-measurements/ And get someone else to take your measures. It is very hard to take them yourself, and have them be correct.

An 18" back length is very long. Since most modern clothing does not sit at the actual waist, it is fairly common for people to get the waist placement wrong. Your waistline will usually be about 2" above your bellybutton, or at your bottom rib bone. Tie a string around your waistline to mark exactly where it is, and then measure from the nape of your neck downwards to the string, while keeping your chin up. If you duck your head, you will lengthen your spine and the measurement will be too long.

Again, a 13" back width is very narrow. This measurement can be fudged a bit (a lot actually), and because the front and back sizes are so very far apart, even if the 13" is correct, I think I would go up about 2-3 sizes for the back.

Quite a few people take the bust measure too small, so be sure to look at the page for taking the bust measure. And lastly, the armhole measure sounds rather large for a person of your size. You want to take the armhole measure snug around your arm; not tight, but not loose either.

I always believe in the "measure twice, cut once" motto. So if in doubt, measure again just to be on the safe side. Once you are sure of your measurements, then you will be more confident when you start cutting.
Keireina
Window Shopper

Re: TV466 Alexandra Bodice Fitting Question

Postby Keireina » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Thank you so much! I feel like I'm asking too many questions but this helped immensely! My husband is home now so I'm going to get him to take my measurements! Thank you so so so much! This is why I will always go with your patterns. You are so helpful and quick to reply!

Return to “Does this fit right?”