1892 Ball Gown Bodice...

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Miss_Eliza
Window Shopper

1892 Ball Gown Bodice...

Postby Miss_Eliza » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Ok, so I am trying to make a suitable bodice for an 1883 Bustle Ball gown... I didn't care for the 1885 Cuirass Bodice so I ordered the 1892 ball gown bodice and I am going to adjust the back neck line of the 1884 French Vest Bodice... I had already asked Heather about my measurements and proceed on my way. Only the 1892 doesn't go up to an L so I extended the lines a little on the sides and top to match what it would look like if it were drafter out that far... So I did my mock up and I apologizes for the poor pictures. I tried it on over my corset and though it fits there is no room to make darts at all. Should I leave it as it is or are darts necessary? Should I scrap the whole thing and try to make the 1892 as it is?

http://s665.photobucket.com/user/Celtic ... 0Mock%20up" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PASSWORD FOR ALBUM IS: mockup

Thank you in advance...
Eliza
Heather
Site Admin

Re: 1892 Ball Gown Bodice...

Postby Heather » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:26 am

Unfortunately, the pics are private, so I can view them.

However, I think I know what you are saying. There is a way to get extra fabric for the waist, which is to adjust the center front edge. On your pattern, you will see that the center front edge curves out from the neckline over the bust, then in to the waist. Take a ruler, and draw a straight line from the neckline to the bust, and keep going straight along that line to the bottom point. This will usually give you about 2" more fabric at the waistline (4" total, 2" on each side). This extra can then be taken back out as the darts.

You will need to change the angle of the darts, leaning more towards the new center front at the waist. And the straight of grain will now be parallel to the new center front. And you will need to redraw the hem line to match the new darts.

As a side note, this adaptation is already done for you on the 1885 Bodice pattern, in the size B group. I am not sure what you didn't like about it to start with. But I am thinking it would be easier to fix what you don't like on the 1885 bodice, rather than try to make the 1892 bodice fit?
Miss_Eliza
Window Shopper

Re: 1892 Ball Gown Bodice...

Postby Miss_Eliza » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:39 am

Sigh you are probably right. I'm not sure what I was thinking either. But thank you for the advice.

Return to “Does this fit right?”