TV103 and the problem of big hips

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
sunndoesntknow
Window Shopper

TV103 and the problem of big hips

Postby sunndoesntknow » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:03 am

Help! I'm having a lot of difficulty fitting the top bones of my TV103 elliptical cage crinoline so that it lays correctly against my bum. Part of the problem is that my corseted waist measurement is 42" but my hips are almost 16" larger and my hips stick out wider than the top 3 bones. I've added a bum pad under the crescent and first bone, which has helped correct the shape some. I'm also running into the problem that the front of the cage sits right up agains the front of my thighs and it's kind of hard to walk properly. Any help you can give me is very appreciated! I'll add a link to some pictures of the crinoline on my dress form, but I don't have any pics of it on me because I live by myself. This is my first time making a crinoline of any kind, so I'm pretty inexperienced with manipulating this type of form.

https://www.facebook.com/sunndoesntknow/media_set?set=a.10205179341136874.1073741828.1045708066&type=3
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV103 and the problem of big hips

Postby Heather » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:08 am

I am unable to view your pic. Can you make sure the permissions are set to public?

You shouldn't really need a pad for this hoop. The tie strings will hold the shape and keep it away from your body, just like a bustle. This will pull it in more against your legs though, so the real issue would be to make the middle hoops larger at the front.

You can try making the middle hoops less tapered to the foot, to give yourself more room for your legs. Leave the bottom 2 hoops the same length, but then add length to each wire as you go up from there. I don't have the numbers worked out, so it will be trial and error. Maybe a good progression would be to add 1/2" to bone 10, 1" to bone 9, 2" to bone 8, 4" to bone 7, 8" to bone 8, 12" to bone 6, and 16" to bone 5. Then adjust the tape placements on the front vertical tapes as needed. I am not sure you need this much added, but I figured you can start big and adjust down from there.
sunndoesntknow
Window Shopper

Postby sunndoesntknow » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:17 am

See if this links works for the pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 680eb671e5

I also did some work on it, especially in the front. I added a little more length to bones 5 and 6 so it does push away in the front a little. I haven't had a chance to try it on since I've made these changes, so I'm not sure if it's quite right, but it's definitely better.

And regarding the bum pad, I possibly won't need it when I'm actually wearing the cage. My own bum is significantly more curvy than my dress form, lol.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks, I can see them now.

Yeah, your tie strings are just hanging loose Go ahead and tighten them up so they are actually dong something, especially the top one. They can get looser lower down, but the top one is what sets the shape on it's path. Get that part going and you will see a big difference. It's OK if it is narrower than your hip. Your petticoats and skirt should even out the shape in the end.

Return to “Does this fit right?”