Early Bustle Bodice Mock-Up Help!

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
majors
Costume Afflicted

Early Bustle Bodice Mock-Up Help!

Postby majors » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi All!

I just completed a mock-up for my early bustle plaid dress. Would anyone be willing to advise on the fit? I am thinking the shoulder seams need to come down lower, and the armhole needs a little bit of refinement.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated! :P :P :P :P
Attachments
earlybustlebodicemockup2.jpg
earlybustlebodicemockup2.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
earlybustlebodicemockup1.jpg
earlybustlebodicemockup1.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
Danielle Majors
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Early Bustle Bodice Mock-Up Help!

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:28 pm

That looks like a pretty good fit to me. You could move the should seam lower, but you don't have to. I think it would be more trouble than it is worth.

I can't see the top of the neck under your ponytail. But it almost looks like the back is rising up too high at the nape of the neck? If so, you can shorten the whole upper back to get the correct height, which will lower the shoulder seam at the same time. But since it looks like the front fits pretty nice over the edge of the shoulder as is, if you lower the back, then you will need to add to the front whatever you take off the back. I would guess that you will be adding more at the outside edge of the shoulder than at the neck edge. (if the bodice front is riding up at the neck edge, too) In other words, you will most likely need to change the angle of the front shoulder seam, raising the outside edge.

I am not seeing anything glaring about the armhole. I think they look about right as they are. But it is not always easy to see things in a photo. If you see something that needs fixing, do it. IN the back view, the right side looks great, but the left side might be a little bit wide? Not sure if that is just the angle of the photo, or the bodice shifting when you arm raisesup, or if it really is too wide there.

I am looking at your darts, and it looks like the center darts are taller than the side darts. I would reverse that and make the side darts about 1/2" taller than the center ones when finished. It will just have a more pleasing line, but not change the fit at all.
majors
Costume Afflicted

Postby majors » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Heather!

Thank you for the super quick response! I'll reverse the dart heights, and change the angle of the shoulder line a little bit. I think the riding up is caused (in part) to the twisting I was doing to get the picture. The neckline does need tweaking, (it's a little too small) and I think that will also help with the back issue. The back fits pretty well; my gut tells me not to do too much with it so I'm thinking with the shoulder line change and cutting down the neck a little bit that should be good.

I'll post revised mock-up pics soon, thank you!
Danielle Majors
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Remember with the neckline, that you have the 1/2" seam allowance that will go away. I think the neckline looks fine, as it will be the 1/2" larger anyway.

Return to “Does this fit right?”