help with fitting TVE21

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
katharine
Inquiring Mind

help with fitting TVE21

Postby katharine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi Heather. I'm making your Trumpet Skirt TVE21. I am able to sew okay, but I'm not very good at fitting so I have a problem. I chose a size according to my hip measurement, but my waist is bigger than what that size provides for (I have a size "H" hip and a size "I" waist). You say to fade from one size to the other at the notches. I can see that working if your are fading to a smaller waist size, but I don't understand how that works when you are fading to a larger waist. You lose those slight inward curves at the waist when you do that, don't you?

Should I start fading below the notches instead? I thought about just cutting out size "I" and adjusting the seams, but that would waste fabric. Help!

Katharine
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Re: help with fitting TVE21

Postby Bookwyrm » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Pick a point on the seams where it won't make a weird blip in the curve - you want a very smooth curve from the hip measurement to the waist. But it's exactly the same - if it helps, think about fading from the larger waist to the smaller hip, rather than the other way around.

The waist will (presumably) still be narrower than the hip, just not as noticeably. And that's exactly what you want.
katharine
Inquiring Mind

Postby katharine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Thanks, Bookwym, for your reply. I reread what I wrote and don't know how you could understand what I was talking about. It was confusing to me, and I wrote it!

That does help to think of it as fading from the waist to the hip.

Katharine
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:42 am

You're welcome. Good luck!

Return to “Does this fit right?”