"Elegant Lady's Closet" drawstring dress

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

"Elegant Lady's Closet" drawstring dress

Postby Dede » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 pm

I like this pattern, but the arm hole (armscye?) annoys the heck out of me... every single time I make it.

Instead of curving in the back, it meets at a right angle. I have to stitch wider than 5/8" at the point to fully encase it. I'm ready to gently re-draft the bodice because setting in fitted elbow-length sleeves at that spot is a pain.

This photo from Aylwen Gardiner-Garden's blog show the wonky angle:

Bodice Back...

Is it me? The style? Is this really The Way It's Supposed to Be?

Here's my little psycho-killer at Anime Boston 2014, wearing a dress made from the pattern (somewhat adapted):

...based on this character:
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Re: "Elegant Lady's Closet" drawstring dress

Postby Dede » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Oh... I realize this isn't a Truly Victorian pattern (Heather doesn't offer patterns from this period), but I'm hoping someone here is familiar with it and can offer some good advice. Thanks! :)
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:41 pm

I am not familiar with this pattern. But in general terms for this time period, they didn't know how to draft sleeves and set them in very well. So that square spot at the back its pretty common for the period. Usually though, the sleeve is cut super wide at the back to compensate for that narrow spot on the back The sleeve may even have a matching square spot. I hope this helps.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 am

Thanks, Heather - that's probably it. I wasn't sure whether the issue was historical accuracy or a drafting error.

The sleeve doesn't have a corresponding square spot. I might just draft it out to save myself some future irritation.
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:17 am

Just found this photo, also from Aylwen Gardiner-Garden's blog. It's of a dress from the same period, with a much more rounded back bodice (no squared-off section)...

...which means I can re-draft that spot without sacrificing historical accuracy. Yay!
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:36 am

Oh, and a little late, but... thank you Heather! If you offered a drawstring pattern I would have snatched it up in a second. Your patterns are among the best I've ever worked with, and THE best for mixing and matching various elements; they make sense, they go together perfectly, and your directions are clear and accurate. I so prefer them to anything else and would use them exclusively if I could.

My apologies, but I thought I had already posted this. :oops:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 am

Thank you very much! :oops:

Return to “Does this fit right?”