Return to the 1885 dress! - Sleeve fitting.

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Helena
Inquiring Mind

Return to the 1885 dress! - Sleeve fitting.

Postby Helena » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:44 am

Hello again, about half a year later! :D
I have finished the collar and the bodice closure by now. (I went for my own way)

Then it is about time to make the sleeves. As I have only made puff sleeves earlier so I guess it is "forgiving" for errors.. Now it is time for fitted sleeves!

Of the sample sleeves I prefer the one on my right side. (It is the side that is not crossed out).

What do you think about the fit? I am not entirely happy about the looks in the back..
Also the length. It should be 1.2 cm removed because of the seam allowed not turned up. is it about right or a hair too short?

And here are the pictures. :) (took screenshots from a film when I filmed myself from a tripod.. censored a little bit for modesty, ahem)

http://www.funnybunny.se/files/sleeve
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Return to the 1885 dress! - Sleeve fitting.

Postby Heather » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Actually, I think that sleeve looks great. Although, I like the length it is now, so I would add to the wrist to get the finished length where it is now. The sleeve should reach to your wrist bone at the front. I think the armhole looks perfect, and the sleeve fullness is just right.

The back at the armpit look like it should. The little bit of bunching is what allows you to lift your arms up. Kinda like a built in gusset. If you smooth that out, your range of motion will be restricted. Which is what happens in modern jackets; lift your arm, and the whole jacket lifts up too.

The whole bodice looks great as well. That is really coming along nicely!
Helena
Inquiring Mind

Re: Return to the 1885 dress! - Sleeve fitting.

Postby Helena » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Ah, thank you for your input! And that I wasn't imaging things that the sleeves are a hair too short.

It is going to have cuff and fake blouse part inside too. Have to figure out the proportions for that. :)

I guessed so too with the pooching on behind. Better on behind than in front. ;) At least I can lift the arms to straight out but not more than that. haha.

Return to “Does this fit right?”