shorten the waist of TV405

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
judys
Window Shopper

shorten the waist of TV405

Postby judys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi! I need to shorten the natural waist of the TV405 pattern by almost two inches. I've asked around, and have been told to just fold the pattern pieces, but that method doesn't look like it will work at all on the back piece. Is there a better way of going about this than folding?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: shorten the waist of TV405

Postby Heather » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Folding it out, or cutting it out, they both pretty much are the same end result. The curved back seam will need some adjusting, though, to get the curve nice again. Basically, after your fold out what you need shortened, you will have this odd jog in the lines that will need to turned into a curve again. On the Back piece, cut away the jog bit, making a smooth curve from the waist to the armhole. The Side Back piece usually doesn't have as dramatic a jog, but you want to do the opposite, adding outside the curve to smooth the line out from waist to armhole. If that makes sense.
judys
Window Shopper

Postby judys » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 pm

I guess where I'm mostly getting tripped up at is how the fold on the back is placed in relation to the natural waist. The portion that goes out (which is later turned into the fold) starts above where the natural waist is. How to I adjust that portion without affecting the fold on the back? I've uplaoded a picture of the area I'm talking about (just incase I'm not making sense. Plus I do way better with pictures).
Attachments
100_3668.jpg
100_3668.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:43 pm

You don't want to change the pleat part at all. Fold it out above that point. Or, you can clip the pleat part to the stitching line, and the fold just the body part, keeping the pleat part untouched.

Return to “Does this fit right?”