Adjusted front needed is larger than pattern

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
majors
Costume Afflicted

Adjusted front needed is larger than pattern

Postby majors » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Good Afternoon!

Looking for some help; after having twins my measurements changed dramatically in the bust causing my adjusted front measure to be larger than 30 inches which is a problem on all bodice patterns. (went up to a 36 "N" bra size :oops:). Laura recommended I go up several sizes on the back pieces to get back onto the pattern scale for the front. Is there any other recommendations/further adjustments I should do? Measurements:
Bust: 52"
Waist: 39"
Hips: 54"
Armhole: 20"
Backlength: 15"
Backwidth: 14"

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Danielle
Danielle Majors
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Adjusted front needed is larger than pattern

Postby Heather » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree, go up a few sizes in the back width. Other fixes could be to scale out the front to larger sizes. Or add under the arm to the Front and/or the Side pieces.

The maths says you need an additional 2 3/4" total, or 1 3/8" added to the pattern (1/2 of 2.75) That is scaling out the front 2 more sizes. Or adding the 1 3/8" to the side seams. It really won't matter much, which way you go. You will have to adjust the armhole placement possibly, either way. And trim the shoulder over the top of the arm. If you know the lengths you need already, you can just trace everything to that length at the beginning. If you need more specifics, please let me know.

Return to “Does this fit right?”