In a pickle....

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

In a pickle....

Postby Frank815 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Good afternoon Ladies.... I'm in a bit of a pickle. Knowing that Dickens here in Texas is coming soon, I wanted to put Amanda in her costumes just to make sure everything was good, and we could decide on what to bring, ect....

Well we were all fine and dandy, until she put her corset on........ We have discovered that Amanda is able to tight lace in her corset. Amanda and I have both decided we don't want her corset to be that tight, and we loosened the corset to a more comfortable level. Here comes the pickle....

NONE OF HER OUTFITS FIT!!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking NONE!!!!! Everything is about 2 inches too small. :? I'm not quite sure what to do, seeing is how I have 0 time to make her new outfits. So here's my plan, lets see if you agree:

I use the TV463 for all of her bodices, so I figured I could release some of the dart, and make a new vest front that was the proper size. Here is the downside, I clipped all the seams, so I cannot let out the seams and re-stich.

What's your advise? Do I have a good starting point? Or is it best to start all over? :|
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...
Dale
Inquiring Mind

Re: In a pickle....

Postby Dale » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I think you're right on track with letting the darts out and you will get more room than you think. Also, even though you clipped the seams, if you didn't take them all the way to the stitching, you may have some "ease" there as well. I have seen extent garments that have added fabric under the arms at the side seams. So if you still have fabric left over, or can canabalize it from a hem somewhere, it is period correct to add. They couldn't just go to the local store and they, like us, put on weight. Between those two methods, I think you'll be ok, especially if the change is only at the waist.
Helena
Inquiring Mind

Postby Helena » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:17 pm

Depending on the style you could add braid, lace or similar trim over the dart lines to hide any visible clip marks?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm

I agree with Dale. If you need more room than the darts will allow, add a panel under the arm at the side seam. If you only need room at the waist, and not the bust, then it won't effect the sleeve. Or even if you do need a bit at the bust too, there is usually some ease in the sleeve that you can use up.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 pm

When my younger daughter developed in the bust line, I cut back the front openings of the early '70s Day Bodice and added back in a vest portion like the French Vest Bodice.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 am

That is what I did on this polonaise. There was a gap of 3 years between my cutting it out and finally sewing it up, and I had put on weight in that time. So I cut back the front using the Vest Basque bodice as a guide, and added in the vest piece.

Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Postby Frank815 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks everybody!!!! I am going to try and add to the side seams, as well as make a new vest front. Here is the next issue: One of the bodices is made of purple plaid. I don't want to cannibalize the overskirt hem just to squeak out two 1-inch stips. Would it be ok to add a soild purple strip to the side seams?
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...
Helena
Inquiring Mind

Postby Helena » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 am

You can choose a fabric that will compliment the main fabric nicely. Take a piece of the main fabric and go to shop and look for something that will look lovely.

(just jumping in here, you can follow my advice, or not :))
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Postby Frank815 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks Helena! I will give that a try when I go shopping!
Helena
Inquiring Mind

Postby Helena » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

Good luck!
You could also use that new fabric for some trimmings and similar to make it look less of "oops it got too small" and more of a design thing. :)
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Postby Frank815 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm

GOOD NEWS!!!! I found all my pieces to the bodice while cleaning/great trash pile of 2012 in my sewing room (seriously.... it was that! bad) :? I HAD 4 BAGS!!!!

Anyways.... It looks like all we be ok for Dickens!!!

Thanks for all your input, and I hopefully will be able to post pics after!

Return to “Does this fit right?”