Can I get away with this? - 428 Bodice

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
pastryfairy
Window Shopper

Can I get away with this? - 428 Bodice

Postby pastryfairy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am

So I've mocked up the 428 Jacket Bodice and it fits nicely. Then I took it off and realized I only closed the front with 1/2" overlap, which covers the seam allowance but not the overlap for buttoning.

Can I just add a little bit to the CF to account for the overlap? And how much should that be? (I'm using 5/8" buttons). Or would that wonk it up somehow? Really would prefer not to cut out another mockup at this point... :bang: Heh heh.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Can I get away with this? - 428 Bodice

Postby Heather » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 am

If everything else is fitting, then yes, just add 1/2" at the center front to get your overlap.

One thing to think about though, is that making up the bodice with seam allowance, linings, and boning will make the bodice fit tighter than your mock up. So if your mock up is fitting tight already, you may need to add more than just the overlap. You mock up should fit smooth, but not be overly tight, to make sure you have a little bit of room for the extra bulk in your final bodice.
stealthflower
Costume Afflicted

Re: Can I get away with this? - 428 Bodice

Postby stealthflower » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 am

Is it worth just closing the front with hooks and eyes instead, and having decorative buttons? That way you mightn't have to add anything more!

Return to “Does this fit right?”