Shortening TV 403 (and non-basic bodices in general)

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Shortening TV 403 (and non-basic bodices in general)

Postby Andrea L » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:38 am

This seems like a basic question, but I have to ask. A thought occured to me as I was cutting out the new vested bodice pattern. I remember in my first bodice fitting attempt, I had to shorten the bodice and inch or less. That's easy enough to take off the bottom of the basic EB bodice, so that's what I did. Not so easy with this new bodice. So should I treat the natural waistline lines as a lengthen/shorten line? What about in the front pieces when the waistline line curves? (or is it simply curved that way because it will be straight once I take up the darts?)
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Shortening TV 403 (and non-basic bodices in general)

Postby Heather » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:58 am

You want to shorten just above the waistline. If you know how much to take out, you can take a tuck in the pattern before you cut it. Keep the front "dip"; you need it for the darts, and because the front needs to be longer to get over the bust.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:39 pm

Okay, so everything below the waist needs to stay the same. I'm having a brain freeze right now and wonder if pinching and folding versus cutting and shifting would make a differrence, so I'll just do the latter to avoid confusion and having to recut my pattern. For the pinching and folding method, should the bottom line be the waistline line or a little bit above that?

Speaking of shortening, I need to remember to shorten my corset too. At least that's easier to do...
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 pm

A little above works great.

Return to “Does this fit right?”