WITHOUT A CORSET?

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
diana
Master Gabber

WITHOUT A CORSET?

Postby diana » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Someone (ahem) larger than I wants a 2 piece (bodice and skirt) but refuses to wear a corset. Even if she makes the bodice bigger, will it fit her? I know these patterns are specially designed for the corseted figure (without the excess love handles flapping around). Should I tell her to just buy a Recollections outfit? (I've seen plenty of heavier women in them without a corset).
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Heather
Site Admin

Re: WITHOUT A CORSET?

Postby Heather » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 pm

You can make the bodices to fit without a corset. But it will fit snug. Unlike a modern dress. Use strong thread and buttons. You might try explaining to her that a historical dress without the historical corset to go with it can be very uncomfortable to wear. If you have access to a corset that she can try one, see if you can get her to just try it. A lot of people are dead set against a corset until the actually put one on.

If you are uncomfortable sewing for someone without a corset, then stick to your guns, and tell her so. I always made my clients wear a corset. If they didn't want to do that, they could get ta dress somewhere else. No point in spending a lot of money on a custom made dress and then not wear it properly.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Heather wrote: I always made my clients wear a corset. If they didn't want to do that, they could get ta dress somewhere else.

Sing it, sister!!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks, Heather!

I wish folks would divorce themselves from the image of Scarlett holding onto the bed post while Mammy tried to cinch her in to a 16" waist! (or whatever that measurement was)
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 am

Whenever people make a face when I talk about wearing a corset, I refer to a modern day equivalent of all the shapewear women wear to pull in this or that. Same concept. I'll admit I was a bit iffy about wearing a corset, and the first time I wore it for a long period of time, I was slightly uncomfortable towards the end. But the second time I wore it, it was perfect. Now I like to wear it when I have to do a long bout of hand sewing so my back doesn't hurt!
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Anyone who looks at you who knows anything about historical clothing is going to know whether or not you are wearing the proper undergarments. It's all about the shape it gives to the dress. I like the suggestion that you liken it to modern "shape wear".... Spanx and control top hose and stuff like that.

I also think it's a misconception that a corset has to be super snug. I don't lace mine up very tight at all. But I can tell you that it is enough to push things around into the proper position that the dress will fit right.

And for those of us who have experienced... ahem.... gravitational pull on certain body areas as we get older, this makes a big (!) difference!!!! I look quite a bit younger in a corset because having it on means no one is confusing my ta-tas with my belly :lol:
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:14 am

I know I've said this before but as a VERY large lady, it actually makes wearing victorian clothing much more comfortable. Without a corset your customer is going to feel it pulling on her body and generally highlighting creases and folds. A corset doesnt need to be laced in ridiculously. As long as its tight enough to be stable then thats what it needs to be.

Its possible your customer feels the corset is going to give too much ooomph to her bustline and that it will cause unsightly bulges acros her back above the top of the corset. It took a custom made corset, made for me by a friend to convince me otherwise!!

Tiffers
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 am

She has consented to the cheap flimsy River Junction corset because she's terrified of anything tight. I guess it's better than nothing! We'll see.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I had a rather large coworker who wore a strapless corset for her wedding. One of those modern versions. She said she was miserable the whole time, it kept falling down or riding up, and she couldn't understand why I love mine. Your customer may be more uncomfortable in a flimsy corset than the real thing. Good luck.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 pm

I think those corsets are made with plastic boning. If so, she will end up not being happy with it. Very sad :(
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

To be honest, she is better off going corsetless than something like that. The boning (if you can call it that!) will bend out of recognition and dig into her and will maker her very uncomfortable, as the others have said. It will create a negative out of what should be a positive.

In my eyes, a corset covers the body, creates a smoother line, fits snugly but doesnt have to reduce the waist any more than an elasticated belt or Spanx. It almost "de-sensitises" the body so it doesnt feel the tight clothing over it. Its like being hugged.

There is one thing your client may have a problem with and this is something I've experienced.....once she has experienced the proper fit of a piece of clothing - armholes which dont gape, fabric which doesnt catch on your body, correctly shaped clothing! She may find that shop bought items are less than satisfactory for modern wear!

Tiffers
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm with everyone else... I hate plastic boning! I'm curvy, and it's left me with bruises before. Not pleasant.
:fence:
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 pm

How about showing her a printed version of this forum?
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Just in case anyone's interested you can add four bones to those river junction corsets as the front and rear openings have channels for bones. Makes them much more comfortable and is easy to do. If you need a cheap quick corset they really aren't that bad I used one daily for several years (with some minor repairs and I replaced several broken bones with spiral steels as needed)...it lasted so long that I kept putting off making one.

I mentioned the virtues of the corset to my doctor, turns out he wears one and thinks they should be recommended by doctors to people with back pain far more than they are. Probably a business opportunity in this for someone with good marketing skills :) .
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Does she have a natural hourglass? If so going without a corset might not be terrible as long as she had a really supportive bra. Still, I agree with everyone else that it's a bad idea.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Natural hourglass? Nope.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
ladymay
Costume Afflicted

Postby ladymay » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:34 pm

I get sooooooo frustrated with clients that want you to make them a "PERIOD CORRECT" dress & will not listen when you talk with them about foundations! Would they build a house without the correct foundation. I think not! If it is going to look period correct it must have period correct foundations! AAARRRRRRRG :bang:
And my God shall supply all your need, according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Phil. 4: 19
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:12 pm

One of my dreams for our Ste. Genevieve Rural Heritage Day event is to have a 'try-a-corset booth' with a range of sizes and styles from different eras. One, so ladies could see that a corset isn't a torture device and two, so they could see how the shape of the clothes is so dependent on shape of the undergarments.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:06 pm

This is almost as bad as a two-month gap between episodes of "Downton Abbey" -- what finally happened with this customer? Inquiring minds want to know, as the two previous posts suggest.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:50 pm

MaryGode wrote:One of my dreams for our Ste. Genevieve Rural Heritage Day event is to have a 'try-a-corset booth' with a range of sizes and styles from different eras. One, so ladies could see that a corset isn't a torture device and two, so they could see how the shape of the clothes is so dependent on shape of the undergarments.

I know exactly what you mean about a have-a-go booth but you stand the chance of putting them off as well as getting them addicted!! A corset that isnt made for you can be really uncomfortable. Its a double edged sword!

Tiffers

Return to “Does this fit right?”