Gathered Dress 456

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
Rebecca
Inquiring Mind

Gathered Dress 456

Postby Rebecca » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:56 am

Help I feel like I have no idea how to fit myself anymore! I've lost weight and my mockup seems huge. I had my husband measure me and I don't know how confident I am in his measurements. Back 14.5 size F, bust 37.75 size E. The upper back seems to fit smoothly but the waist part of the back has inches to spare. The upper chest doesn't seem to too bad maybe a tad big but again the waist is huge. I'm worried that pulling in the darts as much as I think I'm going to have to is going to put everything off kilter by pulling seams to far to the front or make the darts touch. What do you think?

Heather
Site Admin

Re: Gathered Dress 456

Postby Heather » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:22 pm

It looks like you need to overlap the center front more. I find it easiest to pin it like an outward facing seam, with 1" seam allowance. That will line up the center fronts together. That will help with some of the overall too big. But it may still be too big overall. So the first thing to do is to get the proper amount of fabric across the bust. You can take some out at the side seams and/or the center front to get the bust fitting. That will reduce some of the extra at the waist at the same time. Once you have the bust fitted, then you can take in the darts. If the side seams are pulling forwards, then you can take some off the side back piece at the the side seam, tapering from the armpit to narrower at the waist edge.
Rebecca
Inquiring Mind

Postby Rebecca » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Heather you are so awesome for such as quick reply!! I'll do a better job pinning the front, take in the darts and it's ok to take the side seams in a bit - that's great to know because I always thought I was just suppossed to adjust the darts. I'll play with that for a bit and let you know. Thank you so much, I really really appreciate it.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:28 pm

A seam is just a dart that goes all the way from one edge to the other. You can always adjust them just like you would any dart.

Return to “Does this fit right?”