Help in the process of losing weight!

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
fashionhistorylover
Window Shopper

Help in the process of losing weight!

Postby fashionhistorylover » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:08 pm

I need to lose a lot of weight and I want to know if I sew these outfits about how often will I have to sew another one.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

My guess would be that it completely depends on how fast you lose weight and how it alters your shape! I would imagine that it depends on you personally and will differ from person to person.

I wonder if some outfits are easier to adjust than others?

Good luck :)

Tiffers
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

It depends on how much how fast. :lol:

I've lost about 30 pounds in 18 months so I've done it very slowly. Over that time I've made dresses that fit me along the way and of couse it's always easier to take in than to let out.

I just took in some seams on a wrapper the other day. I worked on the waist seams a bit and the side seams. That's all that was really needed. The arms/shoulders are on the roomy side but the wrapper is not a high fashion type of dress so it's all right. If it were a fancy dress, I'd probably try to take it apart and get a more fitted appearance with it.

If you know you are going to make a fancy dress of costly or time intensive work, wait till you lose the weight. But simple dresses just make them as you normall would and plan on taking them in when needed.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:32 am

Did you have a paticuliar dress in mind or not. The poliniase works well for modifing. I put a drawstring in the back and made the skirt with a drawstring as well. Loretta
fashionhistorylover
Window Shopper

Postby fashionhistorylover » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Well I plan to sew the natural form underwear set and the clothing set.
Tissaisme
Costume Afflicted

Postby Tissaisme » Tue May 26, 2009 11:07 am

Sorry to hijack the post, but I had a similar question. I'm determined to make a bustle gown for Dickens Faire this year, the only thing is that I am also determined to drop about 4 dress sizes before December, preferable 2-3 before the end of August. Wishful thinking, I know, but it's worth a shot.

So my question, how adaptable are the undergarments? I want to get started on the pettis and try out a bustle, I'd make a set of combos and another corset, but would be perfectly ok scrapping those as needed, but the bustle and therefore the pettis are a little less disposable. So how difficult would it be to adjust them to fit a hopefully smaller frame?
Dykestra's Law: Everybody is somebody's wierdo.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue May 26, 2009 12:09 pm

The bustle, petti, chemise, and drawers should all be wearable if you loose a few sizes. The garments fit loosely to start, so a little more ease won't really effect the wearability. Put drawstrings on the waistbands, or be willing to make to the bands smaller at a later date.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sat May 30, 2009 4:31 am

I fluctuate in weight by about 20 pounds (stress related, health related) so I can sometimes get away with not much adjusting but there are also times where I have to hold off making what I want until I know what size I will end up at ;)

My experience has also told me that you may wind up with very different proportions when you lose weight. When I was stunt training I wound up with a very broad V shaped back! When I dropped to the same weight due to poor health I got narrow in the back.

My recommendation is to make skirts and undergarments first (you can take in a skirt more easily or dart it etc to keep the extra fullness). Make up trimmings and leave the bodice until you get closer to your goal! Or make a bodice now but have enough fabric in reserve to make new parts of your bodice once you achieve your goal.

Good luck!
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]

Return to “Does this fit right?”