Hem facing fabric for TV291

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Pam
Window Shopper

Hem facing fabric for TV291

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:12 am

Hi - here I am again with more questions (sorry!)
I am gathering up my fabrics to make the TV291 Walking Skirt in a medium weight wool blend and wondered what you would advise me to use for the hem facings - I'm also planning to make the TV298 Umbrella Skirt (floor length) in an evening-type fabric (most likely a taffeta), so would also appreciate some advice there too!

Just got to say it again - being able to download patterns is wonderful! I know that I have to order some 'real' patterns from your UK distributor but it is great being able to have the instant gratification of a pattern landing on my laptop!

Gratefully,

Pam x
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Hem facing fabric for TV291

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:40 am

For hem facings, I usually use the skirt fabric itself. Or if that is not practical, then I use a cotton broadcloth in a similar color. If you need/want to pad the hem a bit, then I like to use a natural drill, flat-lined onto the facing.

I'm so glad you like the e-patterns!
Pam
Window Shopper

Re: Hem facing fabric for TV291

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks again, Heather, for your rapid reply! Self-fabric facings sound perfect for the walking skirt - I think the 'evening' fabric might need something a bit weightier so cotton drill flatlined to fashion fabric sounds like the way to go!
I've just ordered all of the supplies for my first TV Victorian Corset - but have a few days before that arrives, so have cut out the pattern for the Belle Epoque petticoat and have also cut the pattern and fabric for the Belle Epoque cloak - not that I need the cloak at the moment as Summer appears to have arrived (finally) in my part of the world, though the air is rather humid and close. Still, my cottage was built in 1740 and the thick walls keep it cool in Summer so I'm quite happy to be sitting inside sewing, rather than sweltering outside!

Very best wishes

Pam x

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”