Skirt to go with TV490!

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Pam
Window Shopper

Skirt to go with TV490!

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:23 am

I am a costumed volunteer docent at Lanhydrock House in Cornwall (National Trust) and this Christmas, we are recreating the 1893 Costume Ball. We have a very detailed newspaper report of the ball, including the names of the guests and the costumes that they were wearing and our small project team has had such fun researching and working on these!
Anyway, some of us are going to be dressed up - not in fancy dress costumes but in evening gowns. Some of the gowns, like one called 'Nocturne', are more like evening dresses and were worn by those ladies a little shy of fancy dress as well as 'ladies of a certain age'. Since most of us qualify for the latter category, an evening gown seems a suitable option :lol: !
I had thought of using TV490, or the evening version of TV420 (though I prefer the back fastening of 490) but what skirt should I put with it, do you think? I have found a lovely silver taffeta which would be perfect and could carry off a good amount of ornamentation.

All advice welcomed!

Pam x
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Skirt to go with TV490!

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:11 pm

You can use any of the 1890s skirt for an evening dress, including the Walking dress. If you want a train, then go with TV292 or TV298. 292 is more A-line, and 298 is very straight in the front. For a short skirt, then TV291, TV296, of TV294 would all be nice. 296 is very wide, and looks great with a net crinoline under it. 294 has the swags which can look very dressy. And 291 is just a great all around skirt that can be dressed up with the right fabric.

There really is no wrong choice.
Pam
Window Shopper

Postby Pam » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks so much, Heather! I need a new walking skirt anyway so will be ordering the TV291 e-pattern for that one - the Lanhydrock-issued skirt is O.K. but it is in a rather thin material and it has a zipper (!). Plus it is getting awfully loose round the waist - I've lost 70lb in total and about 14lb of that since starting at Lanhydrock, so the fact that the issued outfit is getting rather baggy shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

I think I'll probably choose TV292 for the evening skirt - would you be kind enough to advise me which petticoat etc to put underneath it, please?

Thanks again.

Pam x
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:25 pm

1890s really like a full skirt, so several petticoats work best. It's not historically accurate per se, but a net crinoline really works great. They wore several stiff petticoats, with horsehair,cording, and/or other stiffeners in them, to add fullness to the hems. THey also padded out the hems of the skirt for a stiff look. TV170 view 4 is a great petticoat, and can be stiffened with horsehair braid. 2 or 3 of those should do fairly well.
Pam
Window Shopper

Postby Pam » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:07 am

Fabulous - and TV170 comes as an e-pattern as well (woohoo :bounce: )!

Thank you so much for the advice - can't wait to get sewing!

Pam x

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”