Sleeves for TV446

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Sleeves for TV446

Postby kellydofc » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Hello,
I was wondering what the best way was to narrow the sleeves so that they are more closely fitted to the arm. I am planning on wearing the bodice under a coat and so would like something that fit the arm more snugly than the sleeve currently does. I would use one of the sleeve patterns for a later period bodice but alas they are in storage about an hour and a half away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Sleeves for TV446

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:20 am

This sleeve should be very snug already. It is one of the tightest that I have. If you need to make the arm itself fit closer, then you can take in the back seam as needed to fit. If you need the armscye with less gathers, then you can rim down the top curve to remove any excess.
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 am

Maybe I cut it out to big because the wrist of just the sleeve front wraps almost entirely around my wrist and there is tons of bagginess at the elbow. I cut out a G back and an H front and a G sleeve, I was afraid if I went smaller it wouldn't fit correctly into the armhole. Should I cut a smaller sleeve size?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:29 am

Sleeves get small very quickly. You need to be able to bend your elbow, so it needs to be loose when your arm is at rest. You also need to be able to get your hand through the wrist opening, so if it fits snug around your wrist, you will need to button it. Also, adding the lining into the sleeve will make it tighter. I just say this because usually when people make the sleeve fit tighter, they end up with a sleeve that is too small.

If you want to make it smaller, then go ahead. Like I said, take in the back seam as needed to get the fit that you want.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”