TV 416 / 490 mashup

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

TV 416 / 490 mashup

Postby gretagretchen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 pm

Is it possible to use the fronts of the TV 416 with the back of TV 490?

I like the off the shoulder neckline of TV 416 but I need a bodice that closes in the back and doesn't go over a bustle.

Please advise!
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV 416 / 490 mashup

Postby Heather » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

I am gonna say mostly no, on this one.

Rather than spend time fixing issues that pop up when you combine them (like the shoulder strap on the back not being off shoulder like the front) just make a couple quick alterations to TV416 to get it to do what you want.

First thing, move closure to the back. Super easy. Add 1/2" to the center back edge, and take off 1/2" at the center front edge. Done. The front is now a regular seam, and the back now has some extra to overlap for buttons. If you want to lace up the back, rather than needing an overlap for buttons/hooks, then don't add anything at all to the back.

Make it not fit over a bustle. This is pretty easy, too. Just take in the seams below the waist in the back so that it fits nicely over the hip, at the same time, cutting off the extra bits that make the pleats. This can be worked out fairly quickly during the mockup stage, by just pinning it smooth over the hip, and then transfer the changes to your pattern.

That's it. You should everything you want.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 pm

OK! That does sound easy.

Different question --- What pattern would you recommend to get something like the white underskirt in this plate:

Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:20 pm

That looks like 2 lace ruffles sewn to a regular skirt. So, any underskirt for your time period will work. If this is a late bustle dress with a bustle, then go with TV261, if natural form go with TV221, etc. Then cut it about 10" shorter and add the ruffles over the skirt to the hem. Maybe go with 10" or 12" ruffles, and set them on the skirt with the hem of the bottom ruffle matching the hem of the skirt, and the hem of the top ruffles overlapping the bottom ruffle by 2" or so.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm

thanks again! what I was thinking but it always is helpful to double check.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”