How to... train?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Maja
Window Shopper

How to... train?

Postby Maja » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 am

I am planning to go to a 1890s event and need to sew ballgown for that. I fell in love with the 1893 bell skirt. I have never sewn for this era or been to a ball so here comes the stupid question... :oops:

How do you dance in a train? Are you supposed to hold it up or something?
Heather
Site Admin

Re: How to... train?

Postby Heather » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:38 am

Yes, for balls today, it is considered bad form to had a train dragging on the dance floor. It will get in the way of other dancers, and it will get stepped on, a lot. Even historically, ball gowns for young ladies (who are the ones actually dancing) are more commonly wearing dresses without trains.

So yes, you will want to pick the train up and/or carry it. Different skirts can be handled in different ways, and not every method works for every size or shape of skirt. For the 1890's though, most of the skirts can be buttoned up to floor length with a single loop at the center back seam, and a button at the waistband. The loop and button are on the outside of the dress, not inside like modern dresses. Once it is buttoned, you will not need to adjust it during the evening. Just leave it up and dance away. Trial and error is the best way to get the correct placement for the loop.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”