Trying to plan my first Victorian Bustle Dress

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
gavipb
Window Shopper

Trying to plan my first Victorian Bustle Dress

Postby gavipb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:08 pm

I am trying to plan my first Victorian Bustle dress. I am hoping to get recommendations on which patterns I will need. I am starting from scratch and have nothing. Here are the two fashion plates that I really like.
http://pinterest.com/pin/349521621051242528/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I really like the blue dress.

http://media-cache-ak3.pinimg.com/736x/ ... a0674f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I really like the purple dress.

Which one do you think is more doable?

Thanks,

Gavi
Frank815
Inquiring Mind

Re: Trying to plan my first Victorian Bustle Dress

Postby Frank815 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I think both have their share of pros and cons, but I lean more towards the blue. Best of luck with whichever you choose!! :D
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts. That was then, this is my now...
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I made the blue dress once myself. You can see my version of it here: Image Not my choice of colors, but it came out pretty even so.

Both these dresses are late bustle styles, so look for patterns in the Late Bustle section of the Truly Victorian catalog. The blue dress, while it looks simpler than the purple dress, I think we have patterns closer in style to purple dress. The basic skirt, you want TV261 - 4 gore Underskirt. For an overskirt, I think TV374 - Bordered Asymmetrical Overskirt. For a basic bodice, you can start with TV460. You can cut the neckline out for the insert, or just layer the white fabric over the bodice to simulate the insert.

The blue dress is based on the same skirt, TV261. All the layers can be created with the same pattern, with a little bit of ingenuity. TV460 is a good start with the bodice also. You will have to build the faux vest sections and the collar onto the main bodice. If you need more specifics on anything, let me know.
gavipb
Window Shopper

Postby gavipb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 am

Thank you, that is what I needed to know. I really am leaning towards the blue one. I actually found some tone on tone striped navy that matches the plate pretty well. It is on sale right now for under $5/yard. I am thinking about buying it now and putting it aside until I am ready for it. Do you recall how much yardage you used of your gold fabric? If, I want at least a yard extra, do you think 8 yards will be enough?
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:19 am

I have no idea on the yardage I used. Eight yards should be plenty though.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”