Which Material for 1870?

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
applejelly
Window Shopper

Which Material for 1870?

Postby applejelly » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 am

I would like to make TV20 with TV400 and TV410 with TV201 for a Victorian festival in November this year. I don't have a huge choice of material but one of the two fabric stores in town has taffeta and wool on special. I have looked online and most early bustle dresses online seem to be mostly silk some wool and cotton. Would taffeta be alright as I would like to mix and match the four pieces?
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Re: Which Material for 1870?

Postby ljt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

Are you making a day dress or evening gown? For day I would say wool, evening silk.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:08 am

In all honesty, I try to stay away from taffeta. No matter what your dress looks like, the taffeta always translates as "glorified prom dress." (Unless it is 100% silk, then it works fabulously) I think you will be much better off something that does not have much shine to it. Wool or linen is great. Even plain cotton can look very nice.
applejelly
Window Shopper

Postby applejelly » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 am

Thank you, I would like to make the polanaise for a ball that is planned for the event and also a day dress as well. I have used taffeta before for a regency costume and I agree with you it did turn out the opposite of what I was looking for. The problem I have is there is very limited choice of fabric where I live but a shop in town does have a sale in wool $15 meter. [New Zealand]. I haven't looked yet, but not sure if it will work for ball gown.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:19 am

Try looking in the upholstery section. There is a fabric called faille, or sometimes bengaline, that is fantastic. It is basically looks like grosgrain ribbon, with ribs in it. It often will have a water mark. This fabric looks very historically accurate, even though today is it typically made of acetate or polyester. It will work for both day and evening.
applejelly
Window Shopper

Postby applejelly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:01 am

Thank you for that suggestion I will have to have a look at my local stores.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 am

If you're in NZ you could try looking on Trademe as well. I used to get a lot of fabric from there when I lived in New Zealand. Also, you'd be amazed how much fabric you can get from a set of curtains or duvet covers from Savemart! :-)
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
applejelly
Window Shopper

Postby applejelly » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I have thought about trademe but don't like to buy fabric without seeing it first I have purchased items which only bear a passing resemblance to the description. I have personal choice not to buy things from savemart they present themselves like a charity but actually they are a business and only give lip service to donating any profits to their charity. Sorry don't want to sound negative and I wish I could find a reputable seller on trademe it would make it much easier.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”