MEXICAN DRESS 1840's

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
diana
Master Gabber

MEXICAN DRESS 1840's

Postby diana » Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Does anyone know of a website showing women's Mexican dress in the 1840s for early California?

I found servant wear but nothing for the lady of the house. Thanks! I did find this description from 2 years before the Mast:

The fondness for dress among the women is excessive, and is often the ruin of many of them. A present of a fine mantle, or of a necklace or pair of ear-rings, gains the favor of the greater part of them. Nothing is more common than to see a woman living in a house of only two rooms, and the ground for a floor, dressed in spangled satin shoes, silk gown, high comb, and gilt, if not gold, ear-rings and necklace. If their husbands do not dress them well enough, they will soon receive presents from others. They used to spend whole days on board our vessels, examining the fine clothes and ornaments, and frequently made purchases at a rate which would have made a seamstress or waiting-maid in Boston open her eyes. Two Years before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. - 1840

Thanks in advance!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Val
Inquiring Mind

Re: MEXICAN DRESS 1840's

Postby Val » Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 am

Do a search for the Californios. I found this one. http://www.calisphere.universityofcalif ... pic0a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*ETA- sorry, mispelled Californios.

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”