Victorian Boots

Get how to's and suggestions for making your dream gowns.
Orianna
Information Junkie

Victorian Boots

Postby Orianna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:18 am

I find myself in need of a pair of black Victorian boots for a replica theater costume I'm making. The original shoes were button boots, but I don't mind lace-ups if the fit is better. Since my budget is limited, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two.

Ellie Button Boots

Pleaser Lace-up Boots

Does anyone have experience with either of these boots? I would like to know how high the heels really are. Typically, I can comfortably wear 2" heels, but no higher. These say they are either 2.5" or 2.75" but judging by the photos, the Pleaser boots are lower than that. Can anyone say for sure?

My other concern is width. I have very wide feet. We're talking double wide, here. How expandable are these boots at the ball? Will I need to order a size up and perhaps use inserts to help them fit better? Is there any chance that my regular size will fit?

I am open to alternatives, if anyone knows of any other black Victorian boots that are less than $100. I'd prefer to avoid speed hooks if possible, but zippers are okay since it's a theater costume replica. I'd prefer buttons, rather than laces, but I know my options are limited. They do need to be mid-calf rather than ankle boots, but I have short legs, so if they are tall ankle boots, they might work. Any suggestions?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't see a category for shoes/accessories.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Victorian Boots

Postby MaryGode » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:17 am

I got the white ones for my younger daughter, in size nine if I recall correctly. I can't find a number anywhere on these boots, grr. They look narrow sitting on the shelf but I was able to squeeze my size ten foot into them and even walk. It seems like they have a bit of stretch to the ball of the foot. My foot is medium width, maybe a little on the wide end of medium.

I grabbed a picture of the heel with measurement:

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 pm

MaryGode wrote:I got the white ones for my younger daughter, in size nine if I recall correctly. I can't find a number anywhere on these boots, grr. They look narrow sitting on the shelf but I was able to squeeze my size ten foot into them and even walk. It seems like they have a bit of stretch to the ball of the foot. My foot is medium width, maybe a little on the wide end of medium.

I grabbed a picture of the heel with measurement:

That's very useful, thank you! I just compared your measurements with a pair of shoes I already own and it seems the heels might not be as high as I'd feared. The lace-up boots might be stretchy enough that I could get away with a size 8 (the size I normally wear) instead of a 9. It's hard to say, though.

Anyone have any info on the button boots?
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm

FYI: The lace ups have a zipper that doesn't show in the picture. I almost ordered it before I read the description because I love the french heel!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for pointing that out. Zippers are fine, in this case. The costume is a replica of a theater costume, not a true Victorian outfit, so it's okay. I mean, I'd much rather have an authentic pair without zips, but they're hard to find.

I'll probably order the lace-up boots, since I don't care for the modern heel on the button boots, and I'm worried they'll be too high.
mich
Window Shopper

Postby mich » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 am

have you considered a pair of ice skate boots with the blades removed?
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 am

mich wrote:have you considered a pair of ice skate boots with the blades removed?

Surprisingly, I did think of this yesterday, and I actually own three pairs of ice skates (acquired in my quest to find a pair of skates that actually fit so I could take skating lessons). It's a good idea in theory, but there are several problems.

1. None of them fit. They're much too narrow. (According to one skate manufacturer, I wear a EEEEE width. Discounting custom skates, the widest you can buy is a D width.)
    2. Skate boots are very stiff, thick, and heavy, because your ankles need quite a lot of support. They're awkward to walk in, you clump around.
    3. All affordable skates have plastic soles, not leather. And it's painfully obvious.
    4. They have very large speed hooks at the ankles.
    5. Women's skates are white and I need black boots for my costume.
    6. Once the blades are removed, there are screw holes left in the soles.
    7. Skates have almost no padding or insoles, because you're meant to "feel the ice" under your feet. This means walking around in them would not be comfortable.
    8. Skates don't have a Victorian silhouette. The toes are very rounded and the heels are straight, not curved, plus the tongue is very tall.
    9. Skates are ankle boots, not mid-calf boots. They'd be too short.

Here's a photo of the new custom skates I just had made, so you can see what I mean. They were extremely expensive, so the soles are leather, not plastic, but otherwise, everything is just as I said.

(Click Here For Larger Photo)

Thanks, though! :D
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Quick Update!

I bought the lace-up boots and I'm very happy with them. I ended up with a size 9. The size 8 was wide enough, but they were too shallow across the instep. The top of my foot rubbed against the inside of the boot, so I exchanged them for a size 9, which fit better. The toes are a bit long, but it doesn't look bad.

The heel is just at my height limit. Not sure how I'll manage wearing them all day at Dragon*Con, but I bought some gel inserts to cushion the ball of my foot. Hopefully that will do the trick.

They look fantastic, they're (mostly) comfortable, and they match the costume I'm making, so I'm thrilled with them!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:28 pm

You might try taking your boots to a cobbler and see if the heel could be shortened a bit. I've heard of four inch heel women's dress shoes having up to three quarters of an inch taken off the heels without messing with the structural properties of the shoe.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:18 pm

I'll look into that, thanks.
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm

You can find "Victorian" boots at SEARS:

http://www.sears.com/shoes-womens/c-102 ... T_REC_PRED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lioness
DragonFox
Window Shopper

Postby DragonFox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am

For anyone still looking... American Duchess is now making a pair of historically accurate Victorian boots...

http://www.american-duchess.com/edwardi ... utton-boot

"Tavistock authentic Victorian button boots are heavily researched and based on original antique boots. Tavistocks feature true historical functionality as well as beautiful styling and superior comfort. Wear Tavistock button boots for late Victorian and Edwardian historical reenactments as well as Steampunk events, and not only look perfectly period, but experience the past as well. Tavistock button boots do not have any modern closures, and are the only completely authentic reproduction button boots on the market. Get your button hooks ready! "
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Those are great! Going by the measurements, they might even be wide enough. Wouldn't that be something?

Return to “Dresses, skirts, bodices, everything else.”